• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cut at the muzzle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillon W.

40 Cal
Reaction score
So I’ve shot precuts and I’ve cut at the muzzle. And quite frankly I’m not convinced there’s accuracy to be gained by cutting at the muzzle. What are your thoughts?

I also wondered if it was just a traditional thing. I mean, I would assume so

I'll probably get flak for this, but I'm going to say no.
Guns were weapons of war and at least as early as matchlocks we see the development of pre-loads. Then paper cartridges were developed. No man wants to be cutting at the muzzle when speed is the difference between life and death.
Cutting at the muzzle developed out of necessity from a lack of alternatives. But alternatives were the preferred.

Imagine trying to reload by cutting at the muzzle in battle or fighting Indians, and then being overrun. Chances are you will be left without both a loaded gun and a knife .
And your hair.

Now cutting at the loading block, that's a different story.

I've done it every way possible (i think :) ). There are so many variables in any session on any day that i wouldn't know where to start on figuring out which is more accurate. That said, cutting at the muzzle is what I do most just because it's easier to center the ball and it's faster at least for me.

Cut at Muzzle.JPG

Cut at the muzzle. Its definitely centered. Wish I could shoot well enough t determine if it improved accuracy.

I cut at the muzzle, and many folks use pre cut patches.

I find it's more of a pain to center a pre cut patch, than to do the cutting.

Zactly my view on it.
Apparently, centering precut patches is a precise skill many are unable to master. I've tried both methods and found cutting at the muzzle to be just one more loading step; centering a patch has never been a problem for me. No difference in accuracy.

Not that it's difficult. I have shot pre cut squares a lot and find it only takes a few seconds more to get it right. Precuts are a PITA to keep track of and retrieve. If im shooting a match or trail walk or even roving and shooting its very simple to cut a small slit in a strip of patching and hang it from a shirt button at muzzle level.

I cut at the muzzle because that's how Pawpaw did it, and they rarely did anything in those days that cost an extra cent or an extra moment. No difference in accuracy. I do like having the prelubed strap of patching hanging from the bag. Each one I cut at the muzzle is one I don't have to cut in the shop or order from TOTW and it takes much less time than digging one out of a tin, but I shoot from the bag and haven't been to a range in years so it may be easier to use precut if you're loading from a table. I don't think the bench guys at Friendship cut at the muzzle, but most guys I know who run the woods do. Do what's easier....

When I got into black powder back in the mid seventies I was taught to cut at the muzzle. I don't remember seeing any precut patches at any of the shoots I attended in those days.
I still cut at the muzzle because I'm comfortable with it and that's the way I was taught. My teacher "Knew his stuff" and to this day I've not wandered far from the trail he cut.

I do both, make precuts for one gun, cut at the muzzle for another. Why, I found a great load and stopped trying to better it. Neither is better unless your gun tells you so

Question. It's been determined that square cut cs round cut doesnt really matter. And the excess patching in front of the ball doesnt either. So if you made oversized square patches, it would be pretty impossible to off center a ball THAT BAD that it affects accuracy. Thoughts?

Wait till u drop a precut lubed patch in the dirt while Hunting or on a trail walk and you’ll know why many of us cut at the muzzle. Or slice your hand sliding down a rocky slope and try to bandage it with 20-30 precuts.

I never thought about the bandage advantage! :)

Could be further enhanced by lubing with triple antibiotic!

Latest posts

Back