• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Birds Eye Stocked Flintlock I Just Finished

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW!
That's stunningly beautiful! Good choice to use a cap plate rather than a cap.
I prefer those clean, simple lines, which rely on the wood for decoration; hard to beat nature.
You just laid out the royal flush.

As to the finish, I used aquafortis folllowed by a few coats of penetrating oil, then Permalyn and lastly Chambers finish. I did not use any stain. I don't have a scale to weigh the rifle, but it is light. I was actually glad the wood was dense as it added some weight.

Here is a smaller Beck type rifle I finished up today. The components came from Pecatonica and started out from their Beck Boys kit. It is 36 caliber and has a 36" Rice 3/4" octagon barrel that Pecatonica turned down the front portion. Small Siler lock and mostly their brass components and a few of mine. The wood is very dense and was a joy to work.
Bruce,
First of all your photos are great! Lots of shots of different positions so we can see what you really have produced. That Birds' Eye really sets off a beautiful rifle. You have a keeper for sure. Thanks for sharing.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸 :thumb:

I don't have horses, but have been around a few who raise paints. A really pretty one is sometimes referred to as being loud. That rifle is loud and that is a compliment.

Amazing work! Birdseye is a naturally beautiful wood and this stock shows it in all its beauty. That rifle will be the center of attention wherever you take it. Art

I collect ancient guns for over 45 years now , but never before i have seen such a stock/wood - Congratulations for Your outstanding work . Hope , it will shoot like it looks

Fantastic Craftsmanship! and without a doubt, one of the best , if not the best looking rifle I’ve ever seen!

Congrats on a beautiful rifle...Well Done.

Here is a smaller Beck type rifle I finished up today. The components came from Pecatonica and started out from their Beck Boys kit. It is 36 caliber and has a 36" Rice 3/4" octagon barrel that Pecatonica turned down the front portion. Small Siler lock and mostly their brass components and a few of mine. The wood is very dense and was a joy to work.

View attachment 30735View attachment 30736View attachment 30737View attachment 30738View attachment 30739View attachment 30740View attachment 30741View attachment 30742View attachment 30743View attachment 30744
What a beauty!

Back