• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pocket Walker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carried my '51 .36 navy Colt in a shoulder holster for years when running a trap line this is a very handy/accessable way to carry a pistol and can be drawn nearly as fast as a typical cross draw rig.

I like that pistol very much. Great job. I'd sooner own and carry one of those than the full length version.
How long is the loading lever extension? Pocket sized?
Pete

The extension is 5" long. 1" of it slips over the stub, so it effectively adds 4" to it. Which is approximately the same amount that was cut off the lever.

Hello Steve Blancard.

You really had a smart practicle idea to make a Pocker Walker revolver way to go!

I hope that you do not mind that I downloaded this picture which I presume is yours of a modified cut down Walker barrel on another post I believe this is the Walker you are discussing?

I contacted my friend Master Black Powder Gunsmith Dykes Reber of the
Muzzleloadershop.com located in Berryville Arkansas.

As I want to make a similar "Alaskan style" short barrel Walker. With the idea of having a quicker acess revolver for emergency wilderness defense situation purposes that might come during such activities as Hiking, Fishing or Camping. I will be using my large 240 and 255 grain VKV BG Universal Bullets in it. Which are proven to be very capable effective for quickly stopping Dangerous apex Predatorial animals.

I'm looking at having a Tall Fiber Optic front sight mounted on the barrel and possibily a Picatiny rail on the barrel block for a Flashlight Laser combo.

I wanted to ask about the 5 inch barrel leangth. Do you find it the right overall leangth to go with for such quicker access emergency situations?

Would you slightly lengthen the barrel if you would make another one or just leave the 5 inch barrel leangth as it is?

Is the short protruding Loading Lever
(my guesstimate as about being an inch long ?) Is the short leangth loading lever sufficient enough length wise not to bend with using of the seperate detachable loading lever together that you made?

What material did you construct the detachable loading lever out of?

Is this the correct picture I downloaded of your Pocket Walker?

I got to say Steve Blancard you really did an Outstanding job with a Great inginutive well thought out idea and workmanship project by you.

Sincerely,

Kaido Ojamaa-VKV
20013-42a01c77e0a1d6a1f6f6bc894a70349f.jpg

Yes Really Duhh.

I'm in a planet of inbreds that Civil War Soldiers would ridicule for their stupidity-narrow mindedness!

You have obviously never been second or third on the food chain like you will be in Alaska if you are planning to carry a percussion revolver up there for bear defense.

I don’t care what kind of bullets you make for it.

Please post some videos of you shooting your modified guns. And show the targets please.

Would love to see the performance with a 220-230 grainer round nose mold.
Have used #45266 (taking advantage of the big bevel base) and several others in my Walker and Dragoons. Got an old #457195 I'm threatening to try out.
One good thing about the Walker, the cylinder is so long that with long bullet designs there's still lots of powder space to tinker with and find the best loads.

Hello Steve Blancard.

You really had a smart practicle idea to make a Pocker Walker revolver way to go!

I hope that you do not mind that I downloaded this picture which I presume is yours of a modified cut down Walker barrel on another post I believe this is the Walker you are discussing?

I contacted my friend Master Black Powder Gunsmith Dykes Reber of the
Muzzleloadershop.com located in Berryville Arkansas.

As I want to make a similar "Alaskan style" short barrel Walker. With the idea of having a quicker acess revolver for emergency wilderness defense situation purposes that might come during such activities as Hiking, Fishing or Camping. I will be using my large 240 and 255 grain VKV BG Universal Bullets in it. Which are proven to be very capable effective for quickly stopping Dangerous apex Predatorial animals.

I'm looking at having a Tall Fiber Optic front sight mounted on the barrel and possibily a Picatiny rail on the barrel block for a Flashlight Laser combo.

I wanted to ask about the 5 inch barrel leangth. Do you find it the right overall leangth to go with for such quicker access emergency situations?

Would you slightly lengthen the barrel if you would make another one or just leave the 5 inch barrel leangth as it is?

Is the short protruding Loading Lever
(my guesstimate as about being an inch long ?) Is the short leangth loading lever sufficient enough length wise not to bend with using of the seperate detachable loading lever together that you made?

What material did you construct the detachable loading lever out of?

Is this the correct picture I downloaded of your Pocket Walker?

I got to say Steve Blancard you really did an Outstanding job with a Great inginutive well thought out idea and workmanship project by you.

Sincerely,

Kaido Ojamaa-VKV View attachment 29744
I wonder if the builder had shortened the ram and then drilled a new pivot point for the lever if he could have retained enough length that the loading lever would actually be useful. Perhaps leave an additional inch of barrel too.

Hi
Sure this post was initiated some time ago, but we all learn from some one's ventures.
With this lockdown, is there any more update on the pocket Walker?
I have a Colt second model dragoon ( replica ) with a spare walker barrel that I though would make an Avenging Angle pistol that would have some authority and respect.
I would have to make a new cylinder pin, and wedge.
The Walker in itself is a beast to carry, as well as the second model dragoon.
After handling one of these you can really appreciate a 1851, or even a 1860 army pistol as a practical side arm.

After all who needs a pistol that is capable of knocking down T-Rex size game.
We all do..😏:rolleyes:

Hi
Sure this post was initiated some time ago, but we all learn from some one's ventures.
I have a Colt second model dragoon ( replica ) with a spare walker barrel that I though would make an Avenging Angle pistol that would have some authority and respect.
After handling one of these you can really appreciate a 1851, or even a 1860 army pistol as a practical side arm.

Wouldn’t you also need a Walker cylinder for that barrel?

Hi

Indeed it does promote appreciation of Colt's smaller offerings!
The 1851 Navy modified to .44 is such an obviously good idea.

Wouldn’t you also need a Walker cylinder for that barrel?
Walker cylinders are longer than the cylinders used on the three models of the Colt Dragoon pistols.

My Walker cylinder measures 2.412 long not including the ratchet. My 2nd model Dragoon cylinder measures 2.214 long, not including the ratchet.

The centers of the chambers on the Walker are on a 1.254 diameter bolt circle while the centers of the chambers on the Dragoon are on a 1.247 diameter bolt circle. Of course those dimensions might be different on guns made by different companies.

On my Walker and Dragoon, the killer of the idea of swaping the cylinders is, the arbor on my Dragoon is .567 diameter. The arbor on the Walker is .585 diameter.

Walker cylinders are longer than the cylinders used on the three models of the Colt Dragoon pistols.

My Walker cylinder measures 2.412 long not including the ratchet. My 2nd model Dragoon cylinder measures 2.214 long, not including the ratchet.

The centers of the chambers on the Walker are on a 1.254 diameter bolt circle while the centers of the chambers on the Dragoon are on a 1.247 diameter bolt circle. Of course those dimensions might be different on guns made by different companies.

On my Walker and Dragoon, the killer of the idea of swaping the cylinders is, the arbor on my Dragoon is .567 diameter. The arbor on the Walker is .585 diameter.
Zonie,
You're not just good looking, you are also know your Walker dimensions.
Checking the barrel to the cylinder, alignment is out by a good 1/16", not to mention the cylinder is way too short.
Adding a 1/4" to the cylinder is not an option.
Have to find another project to work on.
Even though the adapting the Walker barrel to the dragoon was pretty low.
That cut down Walker does look massive, where as the .44 cal. .51 Navy makes for a nice potent six shooter, in a manageable package.
All the best !
Fred

I'm the original poster and the one who made the pocket walker. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, for some reason I don't get notifications when someone posts to the discussion.

A friend talked me out of it a while back, so it is only a memory and a few photos. Lets face it, a walker is not a very practical handgun. a Dragoon or M1860 would be a better choice. I picked up this old ASM walker used and just decided to cut it down for fun. But it shot good and felt pretty well balanced compared to how it was originally. So long as the balls weren't too oversized for the cylinder, the loading lever extension worked fine. Here is another photo.

P1001961.jpg

Back