• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Stuck clean out screw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After taking a few shots with my new Tennessee rifle the other day, I got my stuff set up for cleaning. I pulled off the barrel, removed the nipple and tried to unscrew the clean out screw on the side of the drum. It would not budge one bit. I even put the end of the barrel in boiling water for a few minutes, nadda. I only managed to bugger up the screw quite a bit.
Others have told me that I can get along without being able to remove that screw. I always use pipe cleaners to get into the flash channel to swab it out and i was able to do in this case.
I'm debating getting in touch with Traditions to see if they can fix it. Or maybe find someone local with a drill press to just drill out the screw and replace it.
Anyone else have this problem? and how did you remedy It? Thanks

I've always liked to have a convenient clean out screw to help with cleaning out the flash channel, but a guy can live without one. I've had barrels that I've drilled out the screws and retapped them for a new screw, and some that I have just taken a sanding drum on a dremel and reshaped the ends of them so they don't look bad...and leave the screw in place. I just finished browning an old TC Hawken barrel that had a bad screw that had been buggered up to the point it would have to be drilled out. I just reshaped things so the old screw wasn't really obviously there. It will remain in place probably for the rest of the life of the barrel.
It's obviously easier to clean out things through the screw hole, but it's not a big deal to clean it with the screw in place either.

I know it's part of production but some manuals have actually have called it a clean out screw. It can serve two purposes. I like to be able to remove it myself if it is available but it is not really necessary.

Hole in nipple is typically .028” to maybe.035” diameter. I know you are not suggesting removing the nipple, as you have stated you are against that. Not sure what you are suggesting here.

I"m talking about the hole that the nipple goes into, not the nipple flash hole. The nipple is meant to be easily removed, it has wrench flats. I'm not opposed to removing a nipple, but If I can get by without removing a nipple, surely people can get by without removing the "clean out screw".
I also have no reliability issues with not removing either.

I"m talking about the hole that the nipple goes into, not the nipple flash hole. The nipple is meant to be easily removed, it has wrench flats. I'm not opposed to removing a nipple, but If I can get by without removing a nipple, surely people can get by without removing the "clean out screw".
I also have no reliability issues with not removing either.
Apologize. Interpreted posts such as the one below that you were in the crowd opposing removing the nipple when cleaning. Guess I misunderstood ‘against excessive removal.... causing the fit to be ‘loosened’. My mistake, I guess.
I'm definitely against excessive removal from the stock. Every time the barrel or lock is removed, the fit is loosened. Same goes for pins and wedges.
And nipples too.

Apologize. Interpreted posts such as the one below that you were in the crowd opposing removing the nipple when cleaning.

Opposed to "excessive removal".

Now the "clean out screw" that's a different matter all together. It has fine threads. removal is unnecessary and unwarranted.

In the tool and die world fine threads hold up better than course threads. Guess physics are different with muzzleloaders?

In the "tool and die" world, which threads are easier to clean black powder fouling from ?

I have a used Lyman GPR with a royally bunged up slot, as in it is gone, on the clean out screw. I can either drill it out and retap, or ignore it. So far after 2 years ignoring is in the lead. I do use "never seize" on my nipple threads and other rifles with clean out screws that still can be removed. They all come apart easily.

Try a piece of guitar string to clean out flash channel. Use one of the brass wound ones. Its flexible enough to go down the nipple hole and make the bend into the breech. D string is good. Inner string can be used as nipple pick.

After taking a few shots with my new Tennessee rifle the other day, I got my stuff set up for cleaning. I pulled off the barrel, removed the nipple and tried to unscrew the clean out screw on the side of the drum. It would not budge one bit. I even put the end of the barrel in boiling water for a few minutes, nadda. I only managed to bugger up the screw quite a bit.
Others have told me that I can get along without being able to remove that screw. I always use pipe cleaners to get into the flash channel to swab it out and i was able to do in this case.
I'm debating getting in touch with Traditions to see if they can fix it. Or maybe find someone local with a drill press to just drill out the screw and replace it.
Anyone else have this problem? and how did you remedy It? Thanks
If you do get it out, you can use T/C Bore Butter on the threads prior to screwing it back in the drum. There is also a grease for rifles that works well keeping the screw easy to take out.

But I never take them out. With my percussion guns I just put the nipple end of the barrel (after removal from stock) in hot soap water ( bucket or coffee can) and keep running a patch up and down flushing the whole thing out

I generally do not remove the so called "clean out screw". If your screw slot is buggered up, take a small triangular file and file flats on opposite sides of the screw head so that your nipple wrench will fit the flats. The added torque will usually break the screw loose, if not apply alittle heat from a propane torch.

Back