• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buying a completed Wheellock lock? or a complete firearm?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evand848

32 Cal
Reaction score
Howdy yall

Ive noticed a prominent trend here for buying wheellock locks.
Obviously these mechanisms are finished into a firearm at some point.
Are you guys buying locks to build the gun yourself? or having a builder do it for you?
Is this just preference? or is there a real reason for it?

Ive been told this is for import reasons, which, makes sense, but how can i find someone to build
the firearm for me? and what is cheaper? what is less hassle?

I want to make sure I do this right before I put together that sort of money.....

Thank you!

The Rifle Shoppe sells locks and kits :)

Yeah I know about them, The lead time seems really far out for a kit. I understand many will defend them but I am looking for something that If i have to wait a year for, I want a finished product. I do not have the tools to do much work on anything properly. I want a shooters piece.

I know they can hook me up with their builder but hes super busy and this could take years and an amount of money no one is sure about.

Im actually currently looking at a complete piece from Professor Osvaldo Gato. price is reasonable, quality is known. i will contact a few others before i am actually ready to order.

Build your own it is then your own creation I built mine in the early 1970, here in the UK using a 50 calibre barrel
Feltwad

Hi, my name is Hugo from Belgium and I can tell you this.
Look at www.egun.de, it's a German gun site. Regular you will find there wheellock rifles and pistols from a German builder.
I don't know that he could ship it outside Europe but if you would not ask, you will never know
Sells at reasonable prices
Best regards,
Hawkeye Hugo from Belgium

Last edited by a moderator:
Screenshot_20210219_195810_com.android.chrome.jpg

You can buy a wheellock lock from Loyalist Arms in Canada. A friend of mine did. (You can also buy an entire pistol)

BIG CAVEAT: You will be buying 80% of a lock. That is, the parts will all be there, but it will not work reliably without some extensive tuning and rework. Leave it as-is and it will work most of the time and frustrate you a significant percentage of the time. I have learned enough about wheellocks from owning one that I know I don't want to build a wheellock mechanism.

The people at Loyalist are good folks; friendly and helpful. As far as I can tell, they sell the best of the Indian made products. Still, a wheellock is a work of art, not a mass produced mechanism.

Back