• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cleaning patch catching

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggwelder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Cleaning barrel of my 63 Remington Zouave original. When the rod and jag get to the breech, it hangs up and takes a lot of effort to get it out of the breech area, the patch is shredded.
The barrel has minor pits and i am thinking this may be why the patch is hanging up.
will a light barrel lap help? I`m sure that this is a fairly common problem on older guns.
Thoughts please

The end of your cleaning jag might need tapering, your patch is too big, or you are using a button jag and there is no room for the patch to bunch up when you reverse direction and it acts like a Chinese finger trap.
Use a tapered shank jag like this.

1588095046169.png

P.S. the jag might also be slightly too large.
Easy fix with a drill and some sand paper

Is this something new or has it done that since you've owned the rifle?

i reduced the diameter of the jag, it is a button type, home made from brass. Mail is slow these days from the US.
Worked better, will take a bit more off. Cleaning rod needs a handle and it will be much easier to get out.

the jag and patch would hang up half way down the barrel when i tried to bring it back up as well.

i`ve only recently acquired this particular piece, and have not fired it yet-

Back