• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

One little piggy went to market.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintsteel

32 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
Reaction score
9F36165D-55D6-4F73-AA90-AFD5ECAA02F1.jpeg

......and didn’t come home. Went turkey hunting in the eastern Texas panhandle. Birds weren’t cooperating and didn’t pull in a single tom. Was just about ready to pack it up and head back to Amarillo when two of these young fellers came running by. They stopped about 65 yards away and it was just too good to pass. Since I was sitting I had a good, steady aim and planted the sights on the shoulder of this one and let loose with the little .40. The pig ran about 10 yards and was dead before he hit the ground. Smashed his heart and ball exited other side. Weighs about 25 pounds and is going to be real good later this week after a spell in the smoker.

Rifle is a very close copy of a John Armstrong from Emmitsburg, Maryland, about 1820. Build by Jerry Kirkland in the mid 80’s. Jerry was an incredibly good artisan and craftsman. He died a few years ago. the gun was pretty much a bench copy and the carving on the other side is something to behold. Extremely fast lock, highly modified from a Siler.

The left side of the John Armstrong copy. Notice the little details necessary for a true copy, such as the iron tip dovetailed into the top of the buttplate hook. Typical of Armstrong and a pain in the butt to do. The federal eagle on the cheek piece was also typical of his work at that time.

913F58BE-94BE-4561-9966-87263BCBFFA5.jpeg

Last edited:
wish there were pigs around where I hunt, (I know they are problematic for folks where they are) many years ago when I hunted in WVA. my buddy shot one while we were deer hunting they went right by me but I passed as I had seen a really nice buck the evening before right at dark thought I would pass the pigs hoping for a return on the deer. They were 5 or 6 of the pigs. This was in the area of smokehole

Lots of guys poo poo the feral pig; a friend hunts the river and leaves them on the ground.
Properly prepared they are great, NOT properly prepared they are awful.
I use a little more seasoning than store bought pork and remember they are usually very lean.
I think they beat a Turkey any day.
Congrats.

beautiful rifle and a successful hunt! We have tons of pigs down here in central Texas, and often get to harvest these smaller ones. They are excellent eating, but as was mentioned, they are lean.

View attachment 29390
......and didn’t come home. Went turkey hunting in the eastern Texas panhandle. Birds weren’t cooperating and didn’t pull in a single tom. Was just about ready to pack it up and head back to Amarillo when two of these young fellers came running by. They stopped about 65 yards away and it was just too good to pass. Since I was sitting I had a good, steady aim and planted the sights on the shoulder of this one and let loose with the little .40. The pig ran about 10 yards and was dead before he hit the ground. Smashed his heart and ball exited other side. Weighs about 25 pounds and is going to be real good later this week after a spell in the smoker.

Rifle is a very close copy of a John Armstrong from Emmitsburg, Maryland, about 1820. Build by Jerry Kirkland in the mid 80’s. Jerry was an incredibly good artisan and craftsman. He died a few years ago. the gun was pretty much a bench copy and the carving on the other side is something to behold. Extremely fast lock, highly modified from a Siler.
Kinda like going to the grocery store thinking turkey dinner with all the fixings sounds great, but when you get there the turkeys are all full price and the spiral sliced hams are on super sale............here piggy, piggy. Yum.

Latest posts

Back