• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Snaphance sear operation.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Maier

36 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend has graciously allowed me to borrow this antique snaphance lock to disassemble, measure, and copy. I understand that this horizontal sear mechanism is nearly identical to that of the wheellock and the later miquelet, of which I am also planning a future build. I understand the basics of how the sear works. The sear pokes out of the side of the lock and secures the hammer at full cock. Upon firing, the trigger bar pulls back and cams up on the lateral sear to release. What I don’t understand, and what I have not gotten a good answer for, is how the trigger connects to the mechanism. I only have experience with conventional flintlocks, where the trigger cams up against the trigger bar and lets the hammer loose. With the snaphance, and by extension the wheellock and miquelet, a standard trigger would push forward on the trigger bar, which would not actuate the mechanism. There is something I am missing. What is it?

Attachments

• 063E48CC-9174-4640-B6BB-661D52A49339.jpeg
    063E48CC-9174-4640-B6BB-661D52A49339.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 181
  • F4853CBA-A136-4F46-B954-EED2AC89DD21.jpeg
    F4853CBA-A136-4F46-B954-EED2AC89DD21.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 175
  • 7E4F7EC4-F996-4FCF-9564-131BE635BF98.jpeg
    7E4F7EC4-F996-4FCF-9564-131BE635BF98.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 154
  • 5EABAD60-A22F-4800-AD5E-60EA42A58E17.jpeg
    5EABAD60-A22F-4800-AD5E-60EA42A58E17.jpeg
    48.1 KB · Views: 160
  • 2826419C-F619-4272-8ED8-1F5D4440CF92.jpeg
    2826419C-F619-4272-8ED8-1F5D4440CF92.jpeg
    54.1 KB · Views: 172
The trigger is hung in front of the sear bar and the pivot is above the sear bar about 1/4" or less. When you pull the trigger back it pulls back against the front of the sear bar. Here's a photo that Runar posted when he was building a wheellock pistol - the small space behind the trigger is where the sear bar will sit.

46.jpg

That snaphaunce lock your friend loaned you looks like a North African copy of the European snaphaunce lock. If you intend to make an English snaphaunce musket for instance, then the lock should look more like this one by Yancy Von Yeast:
ash2.jpg
or this one by Brain Anderson:
2012-11-15 16.12.21.jpg

The snaphaunce is a complicated mechanism to build and the English quickly dropped the push-rod that pushed the pan cover open and combined the frizzen with the pan cover and it is now known as the English lock Type 1. The Type 1 would be simpler to build. Here's a copy by Yancy Von Yeast:
english_lock by Yancy Von Yeast.jpg

Look down 7 posts or so to "Snaphaunce Musket Build" and you'll see some great photos of an English snaphaunce!
good luck with your build, Mike

Last edited:
Thank you for the visual. That makes quite a bit of sense for this system. And I assume the trigger system is similar for a Spanish patilla lock?

That snaphaunce lock your friend loaned you looks like a North African copy of the European snaphaunce lock.

My knowledge on the snaphance and its variants is, admittedly, limited, and I am using this project as a stepping stone to building a wheellock. What would mark this as a north African copy rather than a continental European lock?

Q: And I assume the trigger system is similar for a Spanish patilla lock?
A: Si

Q: What would mark this as a north African copy rather than a continental European lock?
A: The lock is extremely narrow is my main clue, I've seen them many times including on this forum. The North African rifles look like pencils to me & wide European lock wouldn't even fit the stock.

If you intend to build a wheellock look at my tribulations here - Rebuilding a Mendi Wheellock

Last edited:
I also plan on building a patilla in the near future. I bought one of those rifle shoppe kits and upon further research, found that their castings leave, at least for me, much left to be desired. Besides, there are features that just can’t be replicated with a casting.

I also plan on building a patilla in the near future. I bought one of those rifle shoppe kits and upon further research, found that their castings leave, at least for me, much left to be desired. Besides, there are features that just can’t be replicated with a casting.
You can use the TRS parts as samples to copy or modify by making your own parts. Use the parts as a pattern. I made a 1817 Common Rifle years ago from their parts. I remade the tumbler, welded holes on the triggerguard and cut welded the barrel bands. They are the only game in town though for anything that is uncommon.

That is, sadly, the case. My only other option would be to acquire an original lock, and this snaphaunce I have in my possession now is really a stroke of luck.

North African Snaphance locks are hardly' slim' the stocks might be but the locks are mostly on the massive side . The main technical difference is NA Locks seldom have the cock at rest yet primed option normally offered in European ones .
Rudyard

Hi Matt

The snaphaunce (like the wheellock and miquelet) operate with what is commonly referred to as the Horizontal sear as opposed to the Vertical sear in the more developed French style flintlock we are all familiar with.
The lock you have is from a Moroccan musket. These were in use all the way till about the 1880's in the Region. It is a locally made copy following the English pattern of snaphaunce. And they operate as dd832 mentions. The pan cover is manually closed after priming and automatically opens as the hammer moves forward. It lacks the safety feature found on some original English locks. The only safety while at full-cock being to push the frizzen forward away from possible contact with the flint. And, as mentioned, these Moroccan locks have a more narrow lock plate to fit the style of their muskets. Also, you will notice that when the snaphaunce is engaged at full cock (it's only position) you do not hear that positive "click" you hear with a traditional flintlock. This is normal.
The original Moroccan lock you have can in fact be made to work reliably. But it usually takes a lot of re-working as they are a bit crudely made as-is. But your lock, from the photos does indeed look complete and not missing any parts.
I'll post some close up photos of the genuine English snaphaunce style lock, a Moroccan lock, and a miquelet lock so you get a better idea.

Rick

Here is a clean pic of the Moroccan style snaphaunce with it's narrow waist band and lacking the upgrades of the genuine English lock. Remember, these snaphaunce locks date to the late 16th Century.
As well, here is a Dutch pattern snaphaunce mounted to a Moroccan musket that is in working order, even for shooting.

Rick
DSC00712 (Medium).JPG
DSC00073 (Medium).JPG
DSC00074 (Medium).JPG

Here is a typical Spanish miquelet lock from a 1650's pattern built from TRS kit. Complete but not polished out yet.
While also a Horizontal acting sear, the sear and spring arrangement operate in front of the hammer as opposed to the rear like the snaphaunce. Hope some of this helps.

Rick
DSC00067 (Medium).JPG
DSC00068 (Medium).JPG

The only part missing from this lock seems to be the sear spring. The lock does not belong to me, BTW. It belongs to a friend of mine who wanted me, a machinist, to look it over and see if it could be refurbished, or at the very least copied.

Hi Matt

Now that I took a look at your photos again, yes, I can see where the aear spring is missing. But !!! I probably have a spare should he decide to refurbish the existing lock. Just let me know. Here is a pic of the spring mounted in the Moroccan lock. It just sits in place. Easily installed or removed with a pair of pliers.

Rick
001 (Medium).JPG
002 (Medium).JPG

Dear Rick . While you show a narrower Moroccan lock the one above is more typical of the majority Definatly on the massive side . Their where also a great many locks made in Europe for the NA / Moroccan trade or used to redeem captives perhaps your slim one is one of these .
Regards Rudyard

Dear Rick . While you show a narrower Moroccan lock the one above is more typical of the majority Definitely on the massive side . There were also a great many locks made in Europe for the NA / Moroccan trade or used to redeem captives. Perhaps your slim one is one of these .
Regards Rudyard
Redeeming European Christians from slavery as captives was a common event. In my father's village church there was another box for generations by the poor box for contributions to redeem slaves in North Africa. Becoming a seaman was a common trade being a coastal place so several local lads were probably taken over the years.

Everyone thank you very much. I’m glad I posted this thread. It has been very informative.

Since the slimmer lock does have the cock at rest pan cover closed type it argues strongly that it is one of the Redeeming payment imported locks . Barbary pirates where a constant hazard until the assault by The US and other nations "Explained " with cannon balls that this was a No No .
Rudyard

One more question, and my curiosity will be fully sated (not really). The sear spring, in theory, always tries to act against the primary sear to keep it in the cocked position. When the cock is at rest, it blocks the sear from moving outside the lock plate. When it is at the cocked position, the sear pokes out and holds the cock in place until the trigger is pulled. Does the trigger cam against the primary sear at all, in addition to pushing back on the trigger bar?

Back