• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colerain barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MI MAN

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with a 50 cal 36" Colerain 1/56 twist barrel I am going to put together a kit with this type of barrel. Specifically interested in loading such as powder loads, patching, RB etc

I have a 36" 7/8" diameter .50 Colerain on my recently completed Tennessee rifle and it shoots great.
1587940885681.png

30 year old Douglas special cut 1:56 w .012 square rifling. 90 gr FFg, .495 ball and .018” tight weave patch. Lube w WWF at the range and hunt w ToW mink oil.

You did a great job on your rifle. I ordered this same barrel on the TOW Ohio percussion rifle kit I just ordered.
Thank you. I have just finished fitting and sighting in a .40 Colerain barrel to this same gun and I'm pretty happy with the results. 50 to 60 grains 3F Swiss shoots great - turkey head accuracy at 50 yards. For what its worth, the Colerains seem to me a bit tighter in bore diameter. I had to go down to a .012" patch on this one.

Tom, I’ve noticed the same in their smoothbore barrels as well.

My 16 gauge Colerain mics at .653.

No,

Mine is 38" 1:56 and swamped, and .54 with round bottom rifling. I use a .530 ball and a .015 patch over top of 70 grains of 3Fg.

LD
Yep, I shoot 55grs. with .018 patching. I Use TOTW mink oil for a lube you can use other lubes. Basically I can shoot a group the size of a half dollar at 50yds.
You need a thicker patch with the radius groove rifling.

I have a Colerain .50 caliber barrel sitting on the workbench. I had it cut down to 32 inches. Yes, I too am wondering about how well it will shoot prb. It's my first Colerain barrel. Some of my other front stuffers all sport Green Mountain barrels but GM was out of stock when I ordered the new rifle parts. So I figured "what the heck", let's give it a whirl. Now, if I can get the back ordered parts, I will be able to finish.

I think you Guys will love your barrels.

I’ve owned both GM & Colerain barrels, currently I own a 1 in 56” twist .54 cal Colerain that’s 42” long.

The gun shoots better than I do.
My gun has radius bottom rifiling, I shoot 15ths pillow ticking patch a .530 ball & 70 grns of fffg.

Latest posts

Back