• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Browning Mountain Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, the case is CLEARLY a real Browning made product, believe it or not. The pics are of MY RIFLE. I am a professional photographer. Maybe I should have just put up some crappy phone photos...LOL

No insult was intended, the pictures of the rifle still look like file photo's with a white background that many people use (e.g. my avatar), my comment was made with a genuine interest in the rifle you have , I now know the pictures are of THAT RIFLE, who's to know you are a professional photographer, no need in getting upset and PM'ing me about being rude, I really did not think my post was being rude.

I have never seen a set before........only the rifle by itself. I would love to find one of these cased sets at a decent price. Greg

When browning quit making them we were offered complete rifles for under $200 and assortment of parts for cheap including cases. That said there are complete "kit" versions out there some may be factory but some are clearly not. In addition many semi custom rifles were built with barrels. I have one made from browning barrels. The only reason i mention it here is that a post factory poorly assembled rifle in a factory case was sold for an unresonably high amount to a auction bidder. Brought to us for appraisal the case was almost worth more than the rifle and yes the mainspring was a replacement.

Attachments

• 20180112_141555.jpg
    20180112_141555.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 20180112_141600.jpg
    20180112_141600.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 145
It is my understanding that Traditions bought out the remaining Browning parts and assembled some rifles under their name until the parts ran out

This is all interesting information. Thanks so much for those knowledgable individuals who have added to the string. I apologize if I over reacted to comments regarding the photos. I take some pride in the work I've been able to do with the fine firearms I've been caring for the last 30 years. It was my goal to make detailed, well lit and composed images that shooters and collectors would find to be useful.

This is all interesting information. Thanks so much for those knowledgable individuals who have added to the string. I apologize if I over reacted to comments regarding the photos. I take some pride in the work I've been able to do with the fine firearms I've been caring for the last 30 years. It was my goal to make detailed, well lit and composed images that shooters and collectors would find to be useful.
These Brownings were made in Utah,one of the few Brownings made in the good ole USA.Their demise was the fact that other US muzzle-loader companys{TC} and mostly foreign muzzleloaders were way,way cheaper.The Browning was a beautiful,fairly accurate plains rifle,that just could not compete with $50 Italy,and $100 TC's.Very good gun except for some have a problematic main spring.

Was going to mention the Potterfield link, I have seen/read the story, and he has talked about it on TV, in one of the Midway USA ads that run on the Outdoors Channel. I was deplyed overseas at the time these were being advertised, only in the last couple years have I come across one or two at shows. I keep hoping I too may come across a .54 iron mounted one day, I think they are fine looking rifles. Last one I saw was a .50 in brass, had everything with it.

Mine is very simple: no engraving, no emblems. no box but … clearly marked on the top flat 'Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle' [ In very pretty script] and on the next flat left : Browning Arms Co. Morgan, Utah. I also would prefer it just as it is. However, I would like to have a horn like that. Polecat ;)

Are the ones with brass hardware more common? I just acquired an unfired one in the box with a blued barrel and brass finish. Its not in a presentation box. Just a small Browning box. It's enroute so I don't have anymore details. I'm pretty excited about finding this.
XaI3zQ2.jpg
xUwFL8g.jpg
qu65lk5.jpg

I've never seen a Browning Mountain Rifle with a blued barrel. All the guns I have encountered, brass trimmed or iron, had browned barrels.

Back