• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Spent/shot patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Meyer

40 Cal
Reaction score
I've read here that you can tell a lot about what's going on with your gun by looking at your fired patches. I recovered a bunch after shooting yesterday. The patching is 100% white cotton, I measured it .014 with a micrometer purchased from Joann Fabrics. Its drylubed with a 7:1 mix of Ballistol and water, all cut at the muzzle. The load was 80gr 2f Swiss powder with a .495 lead ball.

I cant "read" patches, maybe some of you can. What do these tell you? The top and bottom 5 would be the side the ball sat on, the middle 5 would be up against the powder charge. Thx.
20200423_124247.jpg

It looks like it could use a bit tighter or thicker patch. But the real answer is in how it groups. Even a smooth bore will group at 25 yards so go to 100 yards or at least 50 yard.

Of interest here is the wear at the edges of the lands. Those little holes indicate that the lands may still have a little bur on them but not much. I like the #40 cotton drill cloth from JoAnn's. Its a little thicker. Cure could be a thicker patch, over powder wad, or more shooting. Generally the patches look good. There is no X pattern indicating blow by other than a few of the patches in the second row. The frayed edges are consistent with good release of the patch from the ball as it exits the muzzle.

I did shoot my best ever group with those, 1.75" at 50 yards from the bench. It's pretty thin and compressible material. I measured .014, but(if I'm reading the micrometer right) .00325 compressed as hard as I can twist it.

I've tried 7 different patch/ball combos, with multiple lubes(both dry and wet). This shot the best.

Your patches don’t look a whole lot different from mine. In my 50 cal/ 1:66” round cut, I use a .490 RB, .015” cotton Ox-Yoke lubed on the powder side with Mink Oil. Loads easy, no swabbing for 12+ shots and holds 1-2” groups at 50 yards, 3-4” at 100 yards. With spent parched, I look for no ripping, holes, or burn through from the center of the patch, to where rifling/bearing surface on the ball ends. Fraying beyond that point is of no consequence to me.

Add more oil and try again.

If your still get holes then address the bore, use some steel wool.
Never had much luck getting Scotch Brite in a riffled gun.

The holes do appear too be cuts, but I’m thinking more oil may solve the issue.
Getting groups like those mentioned the gun seems too like the combination, so I’d try the oil before changing patching material.

Look pretty good. Little more lube wouldn't hurt. Maybe see if you can move up to .018 or .020.
Those little burrs on the lands will smooth out with shooting. Some have been known to run a tight wad of steel wool to sluff off burrs. Won't get them all but will as they weaken.

Thx guys. I'll make a few strips with a 6:1 mix of Ballistol and water. They load easy enough with 7:1 so I stopped there. I will try a group with a slightly thicker patch just to see.

I didnt "think" I had any major issues, just wanted to check because sometimes you dont know what you dont know.

They look ok to me. No fliers, no problems. I’d use a tighter material as it seems you may be close to blowing one but after 20-30 shots with no flier, you’re probably fine if your groups are good.
As far as scouring your bore for pin holes or tears In your patching I iuse a smaller than bore jag and oiled maroon scotchbrite. 30 passes or so should clear you up and ease your loading.

They don't look bad to me. Could be a little better. They basically should look good enough to use again. Not a hard and fast rule. Over time, shooting more may smooth the bore up even more and your patches may end up looking even better. Really its more of a guide when you are having poor groups. I've had patches that the whole center burned out but the groups were still good so I let it go.

They look just barely ok, but that's probably just me and my anal approach.

There is a possibility that the groups will enlarge out of proportion to the increased distance if you test at 100 yards.

Guess I'm saying there's room for improvement. Bob's suggestion to use some scotchbrite on the barrel is something you should do. The rifling is definitely doing some minor cutting. Try a few more patch options with some thicker and maybe tougher material.

Here's how a fired patch ought to look.

20200307_130008_copy_600x800.jpg

I'm curious why those look better that the ones on top and why you think that it would make a difference? I see likely a tighter weave and peripheral stands being lost, but nothing that would alter accuracy. Honest question..

I'm curious why those look better that the ones on top and why you think that it would make a difference? I see likely a tighter weave and peripheral stands being lost, but nothing that would alter accuracy. Honest question..

Not sure whether or not the question was directed to me?

Back