• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

NO YEAST at the store....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In case anyone were to be interested in some historical yeast water, here's one from 1806.

Maria Rundell, A New System of Domestic Cookery

To Make Yeast
Thicken two quarts of water with fine flour, about three spoonfuls; boil half an hour, sweeten with near half a pound of brown sugar; when near cold put into it four spoonfuls of fresh yeast in a jug, shake it well together and let it stand one day to ferment near the fire without being covered. There will be a thin liquor on the top, which must be poured off; shake the remainder and cork it up for use. Take always four spoonfuls of the old to ferment the next quantity, keeping it always in succession.
A half-peck loaf will require about a gill.

Spence

Not bad for a rookie....maybe my 12 th loaf I evah baked...started a month ago . Country Style French Boule
41434DB1-5FD4-49EC-BB87-4809A6706CE3.jpeg

I have a Mother Earth Bread cookbook that contains a recipe for making a yeast solution that will keep from potato water. I tried it a couple of days ago and it seemed to work okay. I should of made a sponge the night before but skipped that. The bread took longer to raise that with regular yeast, but turned out fine. After using part of the quart of yeast solution they said just put it in the pantry and then add more water and sugar 8 hours before you want to bake to make more solution. I used about 2 cups of the solution to make a loaf.

Just got back from a shopping run, Lots of toilet paper and flour but still no yeast. (I checked two stores).
I am currently doing a big grow of some German yeast that I have to stretch my supply.

Tried the suggested raisins start.
Took a few days to take off and give a sour smell in addition to the fermentation.
Made a new flour water batch and inoculated it. Took off in no time.
Gonna make a new batch tonight and inoculate it to see if it stays consistent.

In case anyone were to be interested in some historical yeast water, here's one from 1806.
I decided to give this one a try, and am having a lot of success, and fun, making bread and pizza with it. Perpetual yeast, a lot of good sourdough bread and even more entertainment in lockdown. They can hoard yeast all they want, I'm self sufficient. :)

Spence

I made pizza the other day, but didn't clean the bowl, I just scraped the sides down added some water, sugar and a little flour to make a watery slurry. I ran it with the paddle on medium for a few minutes to add oxygen. I let it sit for a day on the counter then refrigerated over night, then i put it back on the counter this morning, I just checked it and it was nice and frothy. I made it into a dough and am letting it rest.
Pizza for supper.

I've been using my potato water yeast solution now for about a month. It has worked well although it may require a little longer to rise sometimes.

This recipe calls for potato water or if you don't have it boil a potato and mash it in the water and strain into a quart container. I use a quart jar. Next dissolve a packet of yeast in 1/4 cup of water and add it to the potato water. Make sure the water isn't hot but luke warm or cooler. Add 2 tablespoons of water and fill the jar to within about an inch of the top. The way they describe using it is to make a sponge the night before with a cup or so of the water for making bread.

Before you put the yeast mixture into the cupboard after using they recommend adding 1 tablespoons of salt as preservative and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Store in the cubboard and not in the refigerator. I have done that and put a lid on the jar loosely to avoid building up pressure as the yeast works.

I haven't been quite that anal about it and add salt every couple of times water I use it with with a tablespoon of sugar. My experience is it is somewhat forgiving. I have a batch of cinnamon rolls starting right now.

I was at the grocery store the other day and they had a bunch of Red Star brand yeast, packets, jars, instant and active dry. So shouldn't be too long for they hit your store.

Made my own sourdough starter 10 years ago, still going strong. Use some regular yeast for bread, Red Star Platinum is preferred. Been unavailable for several months. Looked on Amazon had plenty for $27.00 per package, that was worth $1.39 usually. Walmart has it back in stock now for$1.39.
Made my bread for awhile with regular flour and no extra yeast, it was good just took awhile.

Don

Made my starter one day after a walk with the dog near a cornfield. It was humid and you could smell the corn growing. Mixed up some water/flour to a loose consistently, covered with a screen type splatter guard to keep the bugs out and set it in the open window for a day. Cut in half, refill with flour/water and wait. Took a couple days to start working. Fed it every few days at first. It really matured after about a month.
Keep it in the fridge, use it every week or feed it every week.

Don

large.jpg

Three pound loaf from two weeks ago. Froze part of it. I did a 2-day levain "build" to pump up the sour component and it turned out pretty good. A worthy endeavor for the retiree, volunteer or otherwise. Economical, too. Less that a buck's worth of flour...

Made a trip to Aldis the other day, they were fully stocked with yeast.
Seems the shortage is over or well on it's way out.

I never ran out, because I anticipated the shortage and I began conserving and growing my own. This allowed me to drastically stretch my supply.
I never panic bought yeast or horded.

Wide mouth canning lids are next; the stores around here are "all sold out" with no indication of when they'll have them again. Not even canning season yet and no one around here still uses them! Hoarders clearing off the shelves for their friends and relatives? Plenty available online it appears...

Back