• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Lion in the Camp.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw a mountain lion here in Pennsylvania about 65 years ago. On a Sunday drive up north with Dad and Mom and my Brother and Sister. It stood in the middle of the dirt road in full profile as we approached, then leapt up the embankment and disappeared into the tall grass. Dad pulled the car up to where the lion had been, and I was out in a flash and scrambled up the embankment and into the tall grass - Stupid kid! Next I knew I was pulled to the ground, hard! My older Brother had me by the shoulder, and dragged me back to the car, shouting "What the Hell's wrong with you? That thing will kill you!" I got a like reception at the car. No doubt in anyone's mind that it was a cougar.

Within the last 10 years, while my Brother was living up in Butler County, a man he knew shot a mountain lion, but turned out that it had escaped from a private owner further north.

My Sister lives in Sarasota Florida. Two or three times she has had a mountain lion cross her path while she was out walking. Whether it knew she was there, it paid her no mind.

Richard/Grumpa

They are occasionally spotted here in north Arkansas. The Game and Fish commission does not officially recognize them as being in the state. I have been told they can range as much as 600 miles.
Saw one cross the road just south of Bakersfield Mo. Reported it to the land owner who told me he had it on good authority there were none in Arkansas. However that extinct cat does show up on his land about every two years.

We don't have any Bears apart from those in Zoos BUT if the rewilders have there way it could be soon. We do have Black panthers tho' most turn out to be wayward Black Labs.. Not going to Shoot one anyway,it may be one of My Labs.. OLD DOG..

If there’s so few as to be deniable then why the heck should there be an eradication or management plan? These things are naturally occurring. Dunno why people are so keen to remove anything that may cost em a small amount of money some day.

Edit to add: I love this video :D

Last edited:
My brother and I watched a big Mountain Lion move through the valley below us while on an elk hunt in North West Colorado a few years ago. I was a beautiful cat about 6 to 7 feet nose to tail. We reported it to the ranch house when we checked out that evening. Colorado has a hunt season for them, so we left it up to the ranch to follow up.

Saw one in W.north Carolina back in the 90s while I was deer huntin. But one of my neighbors did say that he caught one on trail cam a couple of years ago. The funny thing is is that he nver did get around to showing me the evidance. Who knows?

Gooba Jones

Cougars are beautiful and fascinating cats. I have yet to see one in the wild and won't hold my breath. Along with wolves, lions were originally native to virtually the entire US. But then, so were bison and elk. Coyotes are now taking the place of wolves in areas where they once ruled, elk are back, soo...

Cougars are probably slowly moving back into much of their old haunts and that's exciting. Jaguars covered a good portion of the US until they were finally wiped out by the mid 1900s. It would be nice to see them return to a few areas.

This was in North East Indiana on an Amish farm 2 years ago and there were claw marks down the horses back!
Mt Lion.jpg

Back