• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken gets a new Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not fired my new GM dropin yet but I see no evidence of a hole or blemish consistant with your photo.

Is the second barrel dimpled or have an obvious blemish where it has the leak? Would like to see a photo of the second barrel plug where it leaks.

Can you get it to leak with compressed air? How about the first blemished barrel?

Thanks.

I have not fired my new GM dropin yet but I see no evidence of a hole or blemish consistant with your photo.
Is the second barrel dimpled or have an obvious blemish where it has the leak? Would like to see a photo of the second barrel plug where it leaks.
Can you get it to leak with compressed air? How about the first blemished barrel?
Thanks.

Second barrel plug leak looks identical to the first except the leak is at 1 o'clock with the first barrel and the second is at 11 o'clock.
No need to try an air compressor, they both leaked upon firing, the second one was worse.

Second barrel plug leak looks identical to the first except the leak is at 1 o'clock with the first barrel and the second is at 11 o'clock.
No need to try an air compressor, they both leaked upon firing, the second one was worse.

Thanks Hylander. Still have not gotten to test fire mine yet ... but to all outward appearance ... it should be fine ... cross fingers!

Received my new GM barrel :D
50 Cal., 32", 1:66 twist
Fit was not quite perfect, had to do a little tweaking, but now it fits great.
Also down in the breech area there looked like a rust ring and crud.
However once I got a small cleaning jag and patch in there, it turned out to be what looks like polishing rouge, no doubt left from lapping I would guess, cleaned right out.
Had a thick coat of protective oil or grease inside and out.
Bore is beautiful, finish beautiful. The ramrod could use another coat of stain, very light.
Hopefully I will get to shoot it tomorrow.
If she shoots good I will be selling my factory barrel, or getting it bored out to .54

49577978412_29d73fa85f_c.jpg

49580356002_bbc440e43a_c.jpg
Looks nice, Hylander. Too bad for having to return barrels, twice. Good luck!

UndeadPoet

Well, I received my 3rd barrel.
Took it out yesterday for a trial run.
Guess what, It has a leak in the exact same spot between 11:00 and 1:00 o'clock.
Talked to TOW this morning and they are going to refund my money.
So looks like I will be selling my almost pristine stock set.
Done with this project, but I still have another BP rifle and revolver that shoot great.

Well, I received my 3rd barrel.
Took it out yesterday for a trial run.
Guess what, It has a leak in the exact same spot between 11:00 and 1:00 o'clock.
Talked to TOW this morning and they are going to refund my money.
So looks like I will be selling my almost pristine stock set.
Done with this project, but I still have another BP rifle and revolver that shoot great.
That is unbelievable!!

This thread has been a journey for me as well. I really got the urge to order one of the .54 barrels after reading this thread. But I am sequestered 1000 miles from my gun.. Was going to order it and keep it until I got home. But..now I know I need to wait until I can try it for defects when I get it. Thanks for sharing your experiences. As disappointing as they must be to you,

That is frickin unbelievable!!o_O

Hope they made good on the shipping too.

They aren't the only source for these drop ins. And there are breech plugs available that don't involve drilling holes across the barrel.

Latest posts

Back