• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Browning Mountain Rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reskite

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've had this rifle for a while but only fired it a few rounds. When I purchased it, it came in a fitted wooden box with Browning leather patch on the outside along with a very nice powder horn and a few little accessories in the box. I've noticed there was a centennial edition with an inset bust of J Browning on the lock. Mine came with the case but there is no inset. It is in .54cal and has the browned iron furniture, as well as a lovely single set trigger.
JulyRifles5-69BrowningMountainRifle.54cal1917.jpg
JulyRifles5-69BrowningMountainRifle.54cal1902 copy.jpg
BrowningMLCaseInterior.jpg

Is the fitted case common on a rifle like mine? Thanks for your help. Just trying to get things sorted out.JulyRifles5-69BrowningMountainRifle.54cal1902 copy.jpgBrowningMLCaseInterior.jpg

reskite
If I can believe the "Third Edition Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Values ®" you seem to have a mixture of the Browning rifles they had made in 1978.

The book says:

JONATHAN BROWNING MOUNTAIN RIFLE. - .50 Cal. perc., 30 in octagon barrel, single set trigger, engraved lock plate, select walnut stock, cased with medallion and powder horn. 1000 mfg in 1978.
100% $750, 98% $595, 95% $400

MOUNTAIN RIFLE - .45 or .54 cal. perc., similar to Johathan Browning Mountain Rifle, withoug Centennial embellishments, not cased.
100% $595, 98% $525, 95% $475

This book was published in 2003 so multiply the prices listed by 1.421 to find the current price in March 2020. ($750 = $1065.42 in current value)
Of course, guns values depends on what the current market is for a particular gun and in your case, the presence of the case and powder horn that was sold as a part of the Centennial Mountain Rifle outfit will increase the value higher than the plain Mountain Rifle.

Were the "Centennial fitted case/horn combinations" available as an additional accessory, then? Or is there a commemorative rifle out there missing a fitted case? Mostly just curious.

A friend of mine loved to buy these rifles and rebarrel them into what he called chunk guns. He had done several although I never saw any of them.

I've had this rifle for a while but only fired it a few rounds. When I purchased it, it came in a fitted wooden box with Browning leather patch on the outside along with a very nice powder horn and a few little accessories in the box. I've noticed there was a centennial edition with an inset bust of J Browning on the lock. Mine came with the case but there is no inset. It is in .54cal and has the browned iron furniture, as well as a lovely single set trigger.View attachment 28827View attachment 28828View attachment 28829

Is the fitted case common on a rifle like mine? Thanks for your help. Just trying to get things sorted out.View attachment 28828View attachment 28829

The case is CLEARLY a home-made addition. Not terrible, just far from professional.

What shape is the rifle in that goes in that box, the rifle pictures look like stock photo's. Would be nice to see the one you have.

The case is CLEARLY a home-made addition. Not terrible, just far from professional.
Browning must have bought a number of the CLEARLY home-made cases from the same far from professional case maker. The few I have seen in person and that are on the auction sites are all virtually identical to the one the OP pictured.
1587231541483.jpeg

1587231564186.jpeg

1587231588527.jpeg

Actually, the case is CLEARLY a real Browning made product, believe it or not. The pics are of MY RIFLE. I am a professional photographer. Maybe I should have just put up some crappy phone photos...LOL
Agree. Was a little surprised someone would call your case home made and far from professional. I have seen a few in person and they were definitely made for and sold with the rifle by Browning. I was just responding tongue in cheek to the poster and their CLEARLY incorrect opinion, at least in my opinion.

Here’s mine, 50cal
Never fired, supposedly from the guy I bought it from at Friendship. It looks like new..
Wooden case is correct as it’s inside the box.
ACF03832-B534-4975-9585-28C3E6FB4476.jpeg
217CCCF0-398D-4F95-9793-52F1BE6422E1.jpeg
061B4063-6F1F-4E8A-8537-A3AB758AFEAA.jpeg
357F2149-CD4A-4BED-B111-BBBDDAA4C181.jpeg

Exactly. I was just wondering how I came to have a rifle without the portrait inset on the lock but still the fancy case. The previous owner left a note claiming 1" groups at 100 yards and some loading information. Thoughtful of him. The powder horn is really pretty as well. Looks hand made by someone who knows how. I'll have to get a detail shot of it eventually.

Mine's not engraved. To be honest, collector value aside, I prefer not to have engraving like that and the applique on the lock on my stuff, but that's just me.

No doubt the additional emblems and scrimshaw, etc. are only the because of the anniversary edition. They are numbered xxx of 1000.

These Browning rifles are very popular to collectors and are handsome. For me the lock leaves a lot to be desired. The main spring is unique and as you cock the lock you can feel it load up. No one has a replacement spring that I’m aware of.

Browning's main office was Morgan, UT and so the story goes here in Utah, whether it is right or wrong, is that they could not compete with the high quality of the custom muzzleloader craftsmen. Even those who just make their own guns. Lets face it, if you have some files, sandpaper and carving tools, with some effort you can make a really good gun. No machinists tools needed, just a lot of hours and a good eye and that is why Johnathon Browning ML are no more. The volume was just not there.

Latest posts

Back