• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hoppes #9 & murphy's oil soap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer flinter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello in the camp. The other day I was talking to a fellow black powder shooter and he said he uses a mixture of hoppe #9 bp solvent and murphy's oil soap mixed 50/50. has anyone ever tried this? He swears by it. Thank you guys for all your input. Pioneer Flinter.

Hello in the camp. The other day I was talking to a fellow black powder shooter and he said he uses a mixture of hoppe #9 bp solvent and murphy's oil soap mixed 50/50. has anyone ever tried this? He swears by it. Thank you guys for all your input. Pioneer Flinter.

I wonder which Hoppe's he is talking about since there is two types?
One for modern and then the Black Powder one.

negpAcrATb+wg4qTEdjq1w.jpg

He mentioned it was #9 BP solvent.

What are you planning to use it for?

If for patch lube, it will be just fine without the Murphys. If for cleaning, water will work better. I uzed it to wipe residue from around a lock and found that it took much more effort than a water wet cloth.

When I first started I used Hoppes BP solvent. It was great for a no wiping necessary patch lube when wanting to shoot repeatedly. I found out quickly though that my gun requires swabbing after two shots or accuracy gets really poor, so I just started swabbing every shot and just use hunting friendly patch lubes that won't foul the powder charge after sitting in the barrel for quite a while.

As far as a cleaner I'm with longcruise, it is no better than plain old water with a couple drops of dish soap. I'd be really surprised if adding some Murphy's changed that. It is fine on its own as a patch lube, but will dry out if left loaded for quite a while.
Read on the forum a bit...you'll find many that use "such and such" of a cleaner or patch lube and swear it is "the best". Try a few that appeal to you and then use whichever one you find to be the most convenient for you. Some have an issue with using water, but I've had no troubles with it and it's awfully convenient to come by.

Hi
I would think as a patch lube either one would work well on their own. For using as a cleaner neither would do a better job than plain old hot water. jae

Cold dihydrogen monoxide, perhaps with a single drop of dishwashing liquid, works well for me, followed by an oil after drying. Pretty cheap too. ;)

LD
There you go Dave, advocating such an exotic preparation just to clean a muzzle loader. Around here people are hoarding bottles of the stuff. And there you go giving out the secret formula.

He swears by it does he?

Well, that settles it then! Use it!

Best to wear gloves with that stuff, lest ye get the dreaded, prune-finger

If you do get it on your fingers, use soap to remove it.
The high PH of soap will neutralize the corrosivness of it. Dihydrogen monoxide is one of the most corrosive substances on earth, it can literally dissolve a mountain.

If you use any peroxide in a cleaning solution don't get it on the stock. It will eat into the finish and bleach the wood. Plain water and a little dishwashing soap is still the cheapest and best, IMHO.

Carbon 6 said: I'm fond of M.A.P,
Equal parts Murphy's oil soap, alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide.
I like things I can make myself.

Good morning carbon 6. Interesting that you liked this one the best. About three or four months ago I bought a brand-new Traditions percussion 50 that I intend to use mainly 777 powder in, as blackpowder is hard to scrape up, around this part of Montana. After experimenting with at least six or eight different patch lubes, M A P gave the best accuracy on what experimenting and I was able to do. The most shots at one setting were 15 and I could do this many without swabbing the barrel. My patches are fairly damp so for a prolonged load that I'm not shooting right away I use a felt wad in between the powder charge and the PRB. My flintlock, with holy black, works out better with a different lube.
Squint

Back