• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Which of these two stains will give better results?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I would like some comparison facts on two rifle stains. I tried Aqua Fortis (AQ) on my first rifle and had pretty good results, but never tried Ferric Nitrate. The green effect one might end up with using AQ is a big drawback for me choosing a stain for my new rifle. I have read that Ferric Nitrate will give similar results, without needing to neutralize after the heating process. I do not know if F.N. can/will also suffer the green effect. So I am asking: 1. Will the colors of the two stains on Curly Maple be similar? 2. Will/can Ferric Nitrate result in the green effect? Any help here would be appreciated. I am leaning towards a dark color for this next rifle.
Thanks for your thoughts,
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

Basically the same thing, but you can adjust concentration if using the Fe(NO3)3 crystals. I used it on two rifles and did a 4-1 and a 5-1 ratio of water to crystals, volume basis.

Larry,
Properly handled, neither AF or FN will cause any kind of green tint on maple. This means properly blushing with heat, then adding a good finish.
Chromium trioxide was the culprit that caused the green tint when exposed to UV rays, not AF or FN.
Ferric nitrate is the compound you get when dissolving iron in nitric acid, and will stain wood in the same manner, without the need to neutralize. Don't see any reason to take the extra step.
Here's one I just finished, no green here.
IMG_0729.JPG

I should have mentioned that as well. You shouldn't have any issue with greening... It does have a bit of a green tint to it prior to heating, but that turns into a golden-red, rich color very quickly...

20200323_163809a.jpg

Wow! Thanks guys, those are two beautiful colors. Too much work on a new rifle to make it look like it should be in a St Paddy's Day parade. (LOL)
Flintlolcklar 🇺🇸 :thumb:

Back