• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Gibbs front globe sight help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obi2Winky

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all, a newby question here.
I recently purchased a Pedersoli Gibbs rifle second hand. I'm not sure if these rifles ship with instructions from the factory but I didn't receive any. How does the front sight windage adjustment work? Both knurled knobs feel tight and I don't want to break it by forcing anything.
thanks!

I dont think I have ever seen front sight windage adjustment on a P Gibbs rifle. Can you post a picture?

My front sight windage rifle there is nothing that sets the front windage that I have to tighten or loosen. It just turns a little stiff.

Fleener

Don't know about the Gibbs but I have an original chunk gun by Geo. Grammar that has a vintage adjustable front sight. A screw on each side of the bas that locks down on each top flat of the barrel.

Hi all,
I attached a picture of what my front sight looks like. I'm not sure if it actually is a Pedersoli made sight. The previous owner may have changed it. I'm guessing I'm supposed to turn the 2 knobs to adjust the windage, but I wasn't sure if I had to loosen one before I turn the other.
thanks!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 166
I am not familiar with that front sight. I would only be guessing as well.

Fleener

I'm not an expert on this but am pretty certain you will have to loosen on side to move the sight with the other and then tighten them both again to hold the new sight location.
Correct.
One side (with thru hole, I believe) is just a locking nut.

I have the Pedersoli Gibbs and you have to loosen the one side and tighten the other as previously already suggested. Anyway, I have done it and that is the way mine works.

Right now, mine shoots 20” high at 100 yds when on the lowest rear setting. I sent for a front riser from Williams and need to remove the front sight in order to install it. Does anyone have anything to add to the procedure to do this that might be helpful?

A vernier sight will sit lower then a soule allowing you to get your shots down at closer ranges. Also a taller front sight will bring your bullet down. I have had two custom front sights made that are taller then normal to help with this issue.

Most matches that you would shoot a rifle like this in starts at 300 yards and it is usually not a huge problem.

Fleener

A vernier sight will sit lower then a soule allowing you to get your shots down at closer ranges. Also a taller front sight will bring your bullet down. I have had two custom front sights made that are taller then normal to help with this issue.

Most matches that you would shoot a rifle like this in starts at 300 yards and it is usually not a huge problem.

Fleener
Where did you get your sights made if I may ask?

My sights were made by a guy in WI that made them under the name of Distant Thunder. He retired and is not making them anymore. Shame as they are very good front sights.

Not sure if Lee is making his own front sights, at one time I know he was taking Lyman sights and cutting them for a level. Lee would be a good place to start.

Montana Vintage Arms might make a custom front sight for you as well.

Fleener

I recently purchased a Pedersoli Gibbs rifle second hand. I'm not sure if these rifles ship with instructions from the factory but I didn't receive any. .....
As has already been commented - one of the screws locks the sight in place, and the other is for making adjustement. From you photo, loosen the screw on the right, adjust windage with the other then tighten locking screw back up.

I have the Instructions & Advice for Long Range Shooting for the Pedersoli Gibbs, written by Dick Trenk many years ago, on my web site.

David

Use tall post in globe for close range, use short front post for long range. My 36.25 inch barrel gibbs in 45 right on at 100yds. No problemo with tall front post. You'll never get it to hit with a short front post at 100yds

Latest posts

Back