• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubing patch material?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer12345

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have been using prelubed, precut patches and want to move to cutting patches at the muzzle. My rifles tend to like .015 patches and I have bought some strips of such from Track of the Wolf, but it is unlubed. I prefer a grease patch, as that is what I hunt with. Do I just soak the whole strip in the lube and then cut at the muzzle? How do you avoid a real mess doing this?

I prefer a grease patch, as that is what I hunt with. Do I just soak the whole strip in the lube and then cut at the muzzle?

If you soak the material in any sort of grease, You will over lube it, and make a sticky mess.
lube as you go.
I don't like muzzle cutting but someone that does will be along shortly.

I don't cut at the muzzle but I agree, soaking the patch will over lube. I just tip the center of the patch in the lube and rake off excess on the side of the container. It really doesn't take much lube.

I cut at muzzle and make my own lube. Mine is a mix of whale oil and beeswax. Other oils will work also. There are a jillion formulas out there. I make mine so that when it cools to room temp it forms a cake about the size of a soap bar. I make the bars by pouring the hot liquid into small plastic storage containers. My material is ticking from Walmart. Much less expensive than TOW. To prepare I lay out some of the ticking light side up and the rub with the lube bar. This is a very economical way of lubing your patching. I then fold lubed sides together and store in a plastic baggie. In use, I just tear off a strip and start using. Works for me.

Brewer, I cut at the muzzle. I use TOTW mink tallow. The tallow is in a tin so i run the strip over it while apply’n pressure with my finger tips. I also have a mutton/beeswax lube thats formed in cupcake tins. Lay strip down and grab the cake and rub away. After you apply it enough times you will know when you have the right amount as there will be hardly any lube on the muzzle after seat’n the ball. If you have to wipe the muzzle then to much lube.

With that said, for plinking and woodswalks i use good ole spit with a hint of copenhagen winter green. Get it wet but not dripping wet. Lubes and cleans at the same time. All 3 lubes work great in my 5 flinters!

I've been using .015" ticking from Walmart, lubed with a mix of 3:1 Olive oil & beeswax. I wash the ticking first then dry and cut into strips. Melt the lube in a bowl in the microwave (Easy does it!) and soak the ticking in the lube. Lay it out on paper toweling to absorb any excess, fold it up and put into baggies. I've not had a problem with too much lube.

Back