• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hello from Oklahoma !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Folks, just checking out things on the forum. I haven't used my black powder rifle in a long time though. Hope everyone is staying healthy. Take Care
Welcome! Good to see a fellow Oklahoman, there are great people on this forum , lots of good info and friendly knowledgeable people.

Welcome Wes Noon from Norman, OK. That is a great looking rifle. Looks like it would balance well for hunting or plinking. I had one of those Wesson Rifles back in the late 80's I got in a trade. Someone, I think a guy in El Reno, OK changed out the barrel with a Bill Large barrel in .54 Cal. It was a shooter. I used it for some matches where you had to shoot off of some cross sticks, seated at 100 yards. The bore mic'd .550 so I used a .550 mold from Rapine and .010 patching, driving it in with a rubber mallet. It was a shooter. Heavy as heck but for targets was ok. Never hunted with it due to it being a little hard to load in the field.
The OKC Gun Club has a monthly shoot near Arcadia and they are having the Oklahoma State Muzzleloading Championship June 4-7, 2020. Lots of targets for percussion, flint, pistols, muskets and shotguns. Primitive range and plenty of vendors. If nothing else, just a place to hang out and watch, look at all of the great looking rifles and pistols.

Hey Chuckster60, do they still have the Osage Territory Muzzleloading shoot at the John Zinc ranch or another shoot near Broken Arrow with the club called "Tater Hill Bunch"? I shot at the old range on the Zinc ranch back int he 70's before they put a lake right where the range was.
Everyone stay safe.
Mike

Howdy Wes Noon! Very nice rifle, sir, and welcome! I saw those advertised as a young adult, but never had the extra bucks to acquire one with a growing family to feed and clothe. I always admired the way those rifles looked with their distinctive profile! I hope you get the chances (many chances actually) to take her out and shoot her. Take care!

Welcome Wes Noon from Norman, OK. That is a great looking rifle. Looks like it would balance well for hunting or plinking. I had one of those Wesson Rifles back in the late 80's I got in a trade. Someone, I think a guy in El Reno, OK changed out the barrel with a Bill Large barrel in .54 Cal. It was a shooter. I used it for some matches where you had to shoot off of some cross sticks, seated at 100 yards. The bore mic'd .550 so I used a .550 mold from Rapine and .010 patching, driving it in with a rubber mallet. It was a shooter. Heavy as heck but for targets was ok. Never hunted with it due to it being a little hard to load in the field.
The OKC Gun Club has a monthly shoot near Arcadia and they are having the Oklahoma State Muzzleloading Championship June 4-7, 2020. Lots of targets for percussion, flint, pistols, muskets and shotguns. Primitive range and plenty of vendors. If nothing else, just a place to hang out and watch, look at all of the great looking rifles and pistols.

Hey Chuckster60, do they still have the Osage Territory Muzzleloading shoot at the John Zinc ranch or another shoot near Broken Arrow with the club called "Tater Hill Bunch"? I shot at the old range on the Zinc ranch back int he 70's before they put a lake right where the range was.
Everyone stay safe.
Mike
Hello Mike,
Yep called the Tulsa Red Castle Gun Club. I don't know about the Tater Hill Bunch.
I just recently started looking into into BP and I have been buying what I think I will need. I was very impressed with the knowledge contained within this forum so I joined. When the dust settles from this virus I plan to look for a place to shoot some. I have a Remington 58 plus a lower end model CVA I found on sale at Walmart. My prayers go out to everyone that has been impacted with Covid-19, I was furloughed myself but, God will make a way.

Back