• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Antique Firearms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been unable to find any information regarding the regulations (if there are any) for storing and transporting antique firearms, especially those that would be restricted (hand guns) if they were not antiques. Any information on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
George

Restrictions on storing and transporting modern firearms varies with the state you are in. This is especially true with modern cartridge handguns.

That said, the federal government excludes antique firearms from any control at all so as far as the Feds are concerned, interstate transporting them is uncontrolled.

As for what the states have to say about it, it's a good idea to look up their interpretation of what constitutes an antique in your state. Some states like Arizona (which has almost no regulation of any kind of guns) considers muzzleloading rifles and pistols (and cap & ball pistols) as firearms so, if anyone uses one illegially they will be charged with the crime like they were using a modern gun.

I suspect most states will treat a muzzleloading gun as a firearm if used illegally. That said Zonie is correct in the difference in state laws and regulations. I would not carry a loaded cap and ball where I had access to it in a vehicle in Illinois. My guess is I could be in trouble and especially so if it is in Chicago if I ended up in a situation where the vehicle was checked. One has to keep that in mind. Many cities have much more restrictive laws than the state.

In Kansas, we allow universal conceal carry. The State also supersedes local governments with regard to gun laws, so a city can't ding you with a more restrictive law than the State.

In one of the Eastern states a muzzle loader is not considered to be a firearm until it is first fired. It seems odd to me, then then there are a whole raft of odd laws in the Eastern states.....

I have been unable to find any information regarding the regulations (if there are any) for storing and transporting antique firearms, especially those that would be restricted (hand guns) if they were not antiques. Any information on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
George

Latest posts

Back