• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

NO YEAST at the store....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bread baking is my new hobby...this is my 3rd different recipe...came out wicked good !
6AC1C63F-3827-443E-B165-A19BF2F0C2CD.jpeg

WOW ! There is a batch of good looking loaves . Are these all secret recipies? Maybe you all could share a recipe or two with us pore folks, ....Maybe? or at least point us in the right direction to find one..... My mom told me it takes patience and work to make good bread, she did really know about bread making, but I was just interested in EATING it with a gob of her home churned butter.

Holy manure, I didn't know a lot of the stuff was imported. Thanks.

Good to know, and true about grape skins unless they are flown in from...Argentina, but what about...RAISINS ? 🤔

So speaking of yeast..., I know of a site that's been trying to re-create an 18th century distilling operation. They are trying to use the local, wild yeast, and to culture a strain, as the brewers who then would distill the brew would've done by default after a few batches...the dominant strain would've become the majority of the yeast they were using as they transferred it from the finished barrel to the new barrel.

BUT..., they can't get the local strain to go to 8%, in fact they have a tough time (using some modern equipment to test and to cultivate) getting the "beer" to go anywhere near 8%. They know the two fellows who set up the distilling operation in their town came West, out of Lancaster PA, but neither of them wrote down any details as to how they did the fermenting portion of their distilling business. Maybe it was proprietary, or maybe they simply "knew" it as a common thing, and felt no need to write it down.

Last time I talked to the guys at the site, it was October of 2018, and I asked if they thought perhaps since raisins were known to have been available in the town, if the distillers might have used the yeast growing in the raisins. Sometimes it's a wine yeast, not a top fermenting ale yeast, and so might ferment out at a much higher ABV....

I suppose I should check back with them and see if they made progress...
🤔

LD

Perhaps your distiller friends need a "magic wand"...

Also apples(and most fruit) have yeast too. Grapes are the most nutrient friendly to yeast however.

As far as baking bread with yeast from raisins:

https://www.sourdoughandolives.com/recipe/how-to-make-and-bake-with-raisin-yeast/

You doughn't Knead a whole packet of yeast to make bread if you use active dry yeast. Time is your friend , the bread will develop. It just won't be wonder bread.

Sorry for the pun, I couldn't resist.

My jar of Fleishman's says "Product of Canada".

The horror! The horror!
I have six or seven different different brands of bread yeast, Only one is made in USA.
You might think this is a bad thing, but it's not. It is a very, very, good thing.
Imo, the better yeasts come from Europe.

I have had pretty good results baking a basic white bread with all purpose flour using the recipe that came with my wife's old West Bend machine from the 1990s. She used it primarily to make dough for big old hot dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls.

With this Virus manure affecting normal shopping and commerce it don't hurt a bit to go back to the old American way of when i was a child in normal school.

I kind of like that life, after all I do shoot a 1850s style percussion rifle and a Cap and Ball revolver and really enjoy the Son's of the Confederacy and early Texas "War of Northern Aggression" reenactments.

LD and others,

My wife was able to find some packets of rapid rise and standard yeast at the local Food Lion last week. If you have one near by, it might be a source.

I had some sourdough yeast from King Arthur Flour a few years ago and it was great for my sourdough loaves. Got called away for a family emergency and the stuff died. Well, we're retired now and have run out of older family and have no reason or desire to be away for long periods. Time to give it another try.

Jeff

Curious, what brands/strain ?

Lalvin (Lallemand) is made in Quebec and I use a variety of their stuff, Wine yeasts EC-1118, K1-V1116, BM 4X4, RC212, 71B, D47 That's off the top of my head that I have in the fridge.

Also have some Red Star brand Premier Cuve'e, Premier Classique (formerly Montrechet), Champagne and maybe a couple of others. It's not from Canada though, the packs are marked Belgium.

As far as strains of Lallemand for brewing, the usual, Nottingham, and Munich Wheat, as well as some of their Cask/Bottle conditioning stuff for a little better control of bottled efforts(which are few and far between for me these days) Used to have Windsor too, but don't use it much anymore and I have used their Belgian Abbey, but don't think have either on hand, unless it is some really old stuff (yes I save it for emergencies and experiments) I may have some of their Kolsch Yeast on hand though.

Also have and use some Fermentis Safelager and Safeale. Now that, according to the packaging, is from France. 34/70, K-97, 05, 04 etc, probably more of that on hand right now as far as beer yeast, as they have become my favorites as far as beer goes, with Lalvin as my go to for wine(other than Montrechet, which is the new Premier Classique from Red Star).

I have quite a bit more wine yeast on hand than beer as it is less expensive, being able to pick it up for a buck a pack or so.

My problem is I usually buy twice as much as I need, or forget what I have and pick up more so I have a bit that is some out of date. You'd be surprised though, I have used some (stored properly) that was 3 years out of date and it worked fine. Within a year past the expiration date has been, in my experience, no problem. Also this seems to be more so for wine yeast than for ale/lager yeast, which for some reason seems more fragile. Making a starter first with older yeast, especially beer yeast is always a good idea in order to proof it. Doesn't hurt to do it with wine either if you are unsure about viability

I know Wyeast and White labs liquid is out there and I believe made in the U.S., but dry is usually much cheaper, and gives more flexibility in brewing schedule, and if something happens and you have to put off doing a batch, with liquid, you may end up having to dump it and reorder, or try to save it with a starter. I also never noticed that much of a difference in the final product, to justify what is usually a significantly greater expense and hassle, especially with shipping and all. On the other hand I have used their malolactic liquid for wine, as the wine is already there and going and so you don't have to worry about delays and it going bad while waiting,, and it is faster than the dry stuff to take off and get where it is going.

Lalvin (Lallemand) is made in Quebec and I use a variety of their stuff, Wine yeasts EC-1118, K1-V1116, BM 4X4, RC212, 71B, D47 That's off the top of my head that I have in the fridge.

Hey, you're right, I just went and looked at my stash. Lalvin is made in Canada.
I have bread yeasts from USA, Belgium , Germany, France, Canada, United Kingdom, and Turkey. I use to have some from Mexico.
Have you tried making bread with a wine yeast, say EC-1118 ?

Back