• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

RUST BROWNING

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had ordered and received another lock plate and frizzen for my 20 gauge to return it to flinter ... so now with time ... got it out and began working on it.

Only ordered the plate and frizzen because wanted to reuse my tumbler, sear, springs and screws. Got em to fit with no trouble but having a unfinished plate n frizzen, I set about filing and polishing the plate n frizzen for a nice faded shiney lookin antiqued finish.

Getting all fit together and realized the hammer and flint clamp were still brown dull finish.

Beginning polishing these parts, I discover mass rust under the thick
Brown color. Took some little bit to remove the rust.

Do not know what kinda crud somebody used on this.

Might want to check your used BROWN finish's. Hope your brown isn't rust underneath.

I had converted this "Dolliver" flinter 62 to percussion and it worked very well but ... always thought I threw in the towel sooner then I should have. Besides accuracy did not improve over the 2.5 to 3 inch 50 yds groups. Never did shoot any shot through it as a flinter either.

This "D. M. Doliver" smoothie has been a pretty expensive introduction into flintlocks. Thinking a signature flintlock of north of 1500 dollars should have been a bit more than it has been. Woodworking ... other than the very nice figured wood ... is terrible!

The lock being rusty under the brown finish is the final insult though. Seeing this travesty and a costly one at that ... has me with the firm conviction that a kit gun REALLY is within my ability.

Shame on this Doliver feller. I would recommend running fast and far away if you find one of these weapons. This one is surely a disappointment.

Well I am giving it every opportunity to sell me on flinter's. If I get another, it will be a kit gun, BUILT BY TED! I know I can do equal to 1500+ dollar guns ... maybe say a southern flintlock in 40 or 45 cal with around 38 to 42 inch barrel. Lite and easy to carry for deer and small game.

Well just wanted to give warning that under your brown finish just may be a rust bucket. Worth checkin on .

It sounds like you're just a bit wound up, .... browning IS controlled rust, and cold browning is IN the metal. That's what makes it so durable.
Hope that loosens the wind a bit.

Oh I do understand this style of rust browning ... but ... Maybe I have lived under a rock all these years but when I rust brown a barrel or stuff, I neutralize the rust between applications. Guess I have never had occasion to disturb my browned metal so I don't know whether my browning jobs have active rust under the coatings.

Surprised me is all. Does your browning jobs show red rust under the brown coating?

Back