• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turkey Hunting Week Day 3 Morning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This morning I got a text from a lady that has 450 acres about 30-miles away. She said there are lots of turkeys that were seen by the guy that watches after her cows. I got there just after daylight. On the way in I saw at a flock of at least 50 birds crossing the powerline opening. As I drove to the back of the property I saw at least another 25 birds in smaller groups. This is obviously a good spot. I found a little opening where an oil pump is running. The noise will help conceal my entry into the area as well. I set up a hen decoy and a jake decoy about 25-yards out. In order to outsmart all these eyes I chose to put my HECS suit on over the traditional clothing I set out with. My clucks and purrs did not seem to be producing any responses. I thought maybe the drone of the oil pump was too noisy for my call to be heard. After around 40-minutes I thought I heard a yelp. Searching the area with my eyes I see a hen off to the left of the decoys. Slowly, the hen has company. There are two, then three. After a few more minutes there are at least 20 birds in front of me, but no Gobblers. I see two large dark spots moving towards me to the left, so I get the muzzle in that direction and cock both hammers. Sure enough, two big Tom's come into view hard left of me. I wait until they appear well within range. The one slightly closer and to the right looks good so I set the beads on his head. The gun pows and the air fills with smoke. When the smoke clears the turkeys are all still there standing motionless. After a few seconds they go about their business. The two Tom's are still side by side and wander off further left out of sight. Eventually the rest of the flock walks off following them. I have no idea what happened. Missed. Don't want to make an excuse or over-analyze. I reach into the bag and begin reloading....

A miss for me would usually be pretty devastating with the lack of birds around but sounds like you’re in em thick! Should be lots of other opportunities!

Back