• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

.54 Caliber Great Plains Bullet Source??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turtle2

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hello at the fire!! Can someone enlighten me for a good source for buying .54 cal. Great Plains bullets for my 1/48 twist Hawken. After several local failed attempts (Sportman's, local gun stores,etc) I was hoping I can find them online but not having much luck there either. Any Ideas??

Last edited:
Friend of mine just bought some 54 cal 525 grain, cast & lubed bullets from an outfit called "No Excuses Bullets" on line. Just shot enough to get a new rifle on paper, so hasn't determined much about them yet. About half what everything else cost, so definitely worth a try. I think Hornady may have discontinued the 54 cal GP.

Hornady has discontinued GPR's in every caliber except .50. Here is a thread that talks about it.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...-away-with-the-54-great-plains-bullet.111734/

I've read that there is a Lyman mold that drops a very similar bullet I believe?
I don't know if they still do, but Buffalo Bullets used to sell a variety pack of conicals so you could experiment and find one your rifle would shoot well.

I called and left a message to verify instock, ive only got about 32 boxes left. they are one of my favorite bullets. the no excuse 535 is another bullet I use never recovered the first one from big hogs. the lyman plains 450 is similar to the Hornady great plains. major difference is the plains bullet is solid base and the great plains is hollow based, once I shoot these up ive got a bunch of tc 430 gr maxiballs

Thank you guys for all the replies. This has definitely made me rethink about casting my own.
I’ll check out what Lyman’s has for a similar mold. This Ol’ smokepole does like GP bullet for sure.
Thank you again - I appreciate all the help and input.

Back