• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Getting ready for spring turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer flinter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello in the camp. I took my Military Heritage fussil de chase out today and patterned it pardon the art work. I used 1 1/4 oz of #5 and 75gr of ffg at 20 yards. I used the sky chief load. It patterned a little low, I need to trim the front sight down and I should be set to go. Best regards Pioneer Flinter.

Attachments

• IMG_20200212_174022.jpg
    IMG_20200212_174022.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_20200304_115119.jpg
    IMG_20200304_115119.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_20200309_125715.jpg
    IMG_20200309_125715.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_20200212_173402.jpg
    IMG_20200212_173402.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 202
If your gun is a 12 ga I would bet the farm you would get a better pattern with fg. Ive had several 12 ga an 10 ga smoothbores over the yrs an fg performed the best from each of them though your mileage could very

good info guys. I’m planning to pattern my new 20 gauge pedersoli trade gun this weekend for turkey. My plan was #5 shot with amount tbd. I saw one video of a fella with good results at 100 FF and 2oz of #5. Gonna kick the snot outta ya but it shot a great pattern at 30 yards.

Not to hijack your thread pioneer but maybe we can both pull some good info from it.

i finally got a chance to pattern my Pedersoli trade gun today. My pattern was very poor. I tried multiple combinations of FFg and #5 shot at 25 yards. The best pattern was 100gr. Of FFg, then an old shot shell wad I picked up off the ground, 1-1/4oz of #5 covered by a felt wad. Still only 3 hits in the head and neck.

I really thought I would Get a better pattern. Without the plastic wad I was lucky to get 1 hit.

any ideas?

Not to hijack your thread pioneer but maybe we can both pull some good info from it.

i finally got a chance to pattern my Pedersoli trade gun today. My pattern was very poor. I tried multiple combinations of FFg and #5 shot at 25 yards. The best pattern was 100gr. Of FFg, then an old shot shell wad I picked up off the ground, 1-1/4oz of #5 covered by a felt wad. Still only 3 hits in the head and neck.

I really thought I would Get a better pattern. Without the plastic wad I was lucky to get 1 hit.

any ideas?
How low on the powder did you start before arriving at 100 grains?
Did you try about 70 or so under your 1 1/4oz of shot?
What do you have between powder and shot?

Also, what are you shooting at? If all you are going by is a turkey target like those marketed by H.S. Strut, you could have a great pattern, that just isn't centered on the turkey target. You need to be shooting at something in the middle of a huge sheet of clean paper. Look for the area of greatest shot density, then adjust aim to bring that to your target.

This is our patterning board before I covered the hole with cardboard, normally it is many layers of plywood, and years ago even cut and flattened tires,
20200311_164446.jpg
Those turkey targets should give you an idea of scale. The face of it extends about 6" past the telephone pole uprights on either side. Initially that whole thing should be covered with clean paper and an aim point placed in the middle.

Back