• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I think it’s ready for spring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefighter91

32 Cal
Reaction score
My .62 Fowler is ready for its first spring season, patterned at 25 yards
109A4549-A1FD-472D-AB64-A69E0D5CAE15.jpeg

It is a 42” Jug chocked Rice barrel, the gun was built by TVM
The load is 85grains FF
2- 1/8 hard cards
2- 1/8 fiber wads, with one of them soaked with olive oil
1.5 oz #5 shot
1 over the shot card

I tried several combinations and this is the best I have found so far. I’m not sure why it wouldn’t pattern with just 1 hard card, I thought it should but the gun thought otherwise

Looks like you will kill a bird and nice smoothie!

I also have a TVM .62 Fowler 42” unchoked barrel so no help from me on tightening up your pattern. Wish i had a picture of my pattern cause its alot more tighter then yours. I can put 40+ pellets of 5 shot in a 12” circle at 25yrds.

Load #1
75grn 2F
4-over shot cards
1 1/8 oz of 5 shot
1 or 2 over shot cards

Load #2
Same as load 1 but 1 1/4 oz of 5 shot

I do not use any lube at all. Have shot this load enough that 1 1/8 oz 5 shot will put 40ish pellets in 12” circle at 25yrds. Up shot to 1 1/4 oz and up to 50ish in 12” circle. Now all i need is a bird to cooperate and come close enough!

Thanks Yewbender, I’ll give that load a try and get back with you. Hopefully I can get out this week

Yew, I got to thinking and I went and counted the hits and there were 108 on a 8.5” x 11” paper and 42 in the head and neck

Your welcome.

I tried a bounch of combo’s and just couldn’t get a tight consistent pattern i was happy with. I’m suprised im not bald from pulling my hair out working on a load. I then found some writing by V.M. Starr...black powder shotgun guru. The reason for the load was...as he stated...anything behind the shot column thats heavier then an individual piece of shot will open the pattern. Hence i gave it a try and wala...tightest pattern i ever got. Hopefully it will work on a jug choke but i know it works on my unchoked barrel.

Let me know if it works! Hopefully it does!

Just seen your reply. I guess i should have inlarged the pic you posted but could tell it’s good and will kill a turkey for sure. Hey for S&!T’s n giggles give my load a try. Who knows it might tighten up or not.

Yewbender, I tried your load recipe and it shot low for me but it did have a pretty good pattern. Here is a pic of my load in a 10” circle, if I counted right I had 132 #5’s in the circleimage.jpg

Ya, just wasn’t sure how it would shoot since your barrel is jug choked. Thanks for let’n me know. I can see your pattern better know and it’s a good one for sure! Good luck and kill a Jellyneck this spring!

when using a shotgun , I never use grain measurements . I use a dram / ounce dipper measure . whether it be for a muzzleloader , or a hammer breechloader . loading my paper shotgun shells is easier and just as easy with a muzzleloader.

Back