• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Information about BP measures.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Feathers

62 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
Reaction score
Howdy folks: Two Feathers here, with a question?
I'm making up some BP measures with Elk antler tines and was wondering if anyone can tell me, what are the most common grain quantities for BP rifles? I don't want to waste time and supplies making measures that have NO practical use. I have a nice 120 grain here, but I don't know if that is something anyone could use? Thank you in advance.
God bless:
Two Feathers

It should hold the amount of powder that provides the best accuracy for the rifle.

From what I can remember seeing at various vendors at Fort Frederick and on the CLA site, 50 grains to 90 grains seem to be common offerings. Some go bigger or smaller but they seem to be less popular. Measures are often available in 5 grain increments (altho easy enough to add a bit of wax if you like the looks of one that is just a bit too large. Lots of antler measures out there - tin & cane are harder to come by.

004 (1024x768).jpg 005 (300x225).jpg 002 (518x388).jpg And I've made them with two bore diameters in the same hole. Fill the first for X grains, fill it to the top for XX grains.

From what I can remember seeing at various vendors at Fort Frederick and on the CLA site, 50 grains to 90 grains seem to be common offerings. Some go bigger or smaller but they seem to be less popular. Measures are often available in 5 grain increments (altho easy enough to add a bit of wax if you like the looks of one that is just a bit too large. Lots of antler measures out there - tin & cane are harder to come by.

Thanks Coot. I DID NOT know that about the tin and cane measures? Actually, I never heard of either.:dunno: I'll DEFINITELY look into that!!! I made a few out of Figured Black Walnut, but no one wanted anything to do with them?
I currently have both 50 & 090 grain measures here for sale, but again, no interest?
Thank you for your input.
Two Feathers

Thanks Coot. I DID NOT know that about the tin and cane measures? Actually, I never heard of either.:dunno: I'll DEFINITELY look into that!!! I made a few out of Figured Black Walnut, but no one wanted anything to do with them?
I currently have both 50 & 090 grain measures here for sale, but again, no interest?
Thank you for your input.
Two Feathers

Clay Smith is offering a few tin measures on his website if you want to see what they look like. Also popular for measuring shot.

From what I can remember seeing at various vendors at Fort Frederick ..., 50 grains to 90 grains seem to be common offerings.

A friend at Fort Frederick sells powder chargers (some folks use the term "charger" for what a lot of us call a "fixed measure"...meaning it doesn't adjust to other settings). The chargers are made from turkey wingbones. He fashions a plug for one end.

Some folks make them as mentioned, from 50 to 90 grains or so. My friend Danny, makes them also in 25 to 45 sizes in 5 grain increments. As one response mentioned some folks like to do a charge for targets, and one for hunting.

I, on the other hand, have a 30 grain charger from a deer antler for my .40, because 30 grains is plenty for squirrels and rabbits and groundhogs, but I'm required to use at least 60 grains if I go hunting deer. So in the latter case, I'd simply double the powder load, and go for deer. ;)

LD

A friend at Fort Frederick sells powder chargers (some folks use the term "charger" for what a lot of us call a "fixed measure"...meaning it doesn't adjust to other settings). The chargers are made from turkey wingbones. He fashions a plug for one end.

Some folks make them as mentioned, from 50 to 90 grains or so. My friend Danny, makes them also in 25 to 45 sizes in 5 grain increments. As one response mentioned some folks like to do a charge for targets, and one for hunting.

I, on the other hand, have a 30 grain charger from a deer antler for my .40, because 30 grains is plenty for squirrels and rabbits and groundhogs, but I'm required to use at least 60 grains if I go hunting deer. So in the latter case, I'd simply double the powder load, and go for deer. ;)

LD

LD
Thank you. I've made pan brushes with Turkey wing bones, but never powder measures?
I have to agree about the target loads? It's OK to make a finicky charger for paper loads, BUT... you gotta' know the rifle to keep it accurate. I can make a 45 gr. charger that will work great for game, BUT once you go for accuracy on Paper, then it might be just a matter of maybe 3 or 4 grains on either side of that? I can't make 10 or 15 different grain size measures. I'd never get anything made to sell, and I'd waste a LOT of materials. Plus I might find one guy in a thousand looking for a 38 gr.charger?
Two Feathers

You could also consider just advertising that you make them, have some pictures to show what the end result will look like, and then let folks order what amount they want in their preferred granulation? Might save you from putting time into something that won't sell.

You could also consider just advertising that you make them, have some pictures to show what the end result will look like, and then let folks order what amount they want in their preferred granulation? Might save you from putting time into something that won't sell.
Thank you, I may just do that? It will definitely save some work and materials.
Two Feathers

Howdy Two Feathers,
It's been my experience that every single barrel "likes" a different load best, and I've first determined that and then
made a powder measure to fit. One such rifle wants 90 grains of FFg, and another of the same caliber wants 75. A wee little .40 caliber just shoots ragged-hole groups with 58 - 60 grains of FFFg but the group size doubles if I go 5 grains in either direction. I think if you're going into the powder measure business, renegadehunter's suggestion would serve you best. Luck to you.
Tanglefoot

Google Clay Smith Guns.. He is the Gunsmith at Colonial Williamsburg.
smo
I looked all over and found NOTHING about Clay Smith and tin powder measures? I did find out all about his guns and knives, but nothing about his tin powder measures?
Thank you:
Two Feathers
Howdy Two Feathers,
It's been my experience that every single barrel "likes" a different load best, and I've first determined that and then
made a powder measure to fit. One such rifle wants 90 grains of FFg, and another of the same caliber wants 75. A wee little .40 caliber just shoots ragged-hole groups with 58 - 60 grains of FFFg but the group size doubles if I go 5 grains in either direction. I think if you're going into the powder measure business, renegadehunter's suggestion would serve you best. Luck to you.
Tanglefoot

Tanglefoot
I believe you're correct. Thank you. I'll go that direction?
I've been in the BP accoutrements game for awhile, I'm just trying to pare down my outlay of time and materials. Thank you for your input. Definitely worthwhile advice.
Two Feathers:

Back