• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Steel Skeletal Stock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Screenshot_20200308-235119_Chrome.jpg

I just impulse bought this , they're for sale on EBay too.

I figure I'd eventually get a Uberti 1860 Army ,this looks like the ticket for some range fun.

I wonder how often these were actually purchased or used in the period, and if so how you would carry it.....in a saddlebag?

Must have been nice and light to pack.

I had looked at them some time back and noted that they won't work on a revolver that is already cut for a shoulder stock. To the best of my knowledge there were no skeletal stocks for Colts prior to the 1873 SSA but that doesn't mean it can't be a fun item. Shoulder stocks for the C&B revolvers don't seem to have been very popular at all and like you I have always wondered how to carry on with the stock attached. I do have a couple of shoulder stocks for my Armies but have never tried them. I have a Pietta .44 "51 Navy" steel frame gun not cut for a stock that I'm going to outfit with a 12" barrel and this would be ideal for it.

Last edited:
Maybe might fit my London Navy???
Not cut for a stock.....

I figured it was worth grabbing since it will eventually fit something :)

The 1860 in the pic is cut for a stock but the 1851 isn't. Cimarron is confusing us.

Eye Pro on, looks like some fun summer afternoons popping rounds off at 50 yards in the pistol pits at the gun club....

Bonus if it fits my Dragoon.

Last edited:
Better wear safety glasses and cover face a little, I have an 1860 Colt and board style Colt stock (both from Colt), the cap flack is a pain as your face is too close to the back of the gun. 100 yards is doable with stock on.

Let me know how you like a cap and ball revolver going off 6 inches in front of your face. I didn't.

I had looked at them some time back and noted that they won't work on a revolver that is already cut for a shoulder stock. To the best of my knowledge there were no skeletal stocks for Colts prior to the 1873 SSA but that doesn't mean it can't be a fun item. Shoulder stocks for the C&B revolvers don't seem to have been very popular at all and like you I have always wondered how to carry on with the stock attached. I do have a couple of shoulder stocks for my Armies but have never tried them. I have a Pietta .44 "51 Navy" steel frame gun not cut for a stock that I'm going to outfit with a 12" barrel and this would be ideal for it.

Hawkeye2, could you explain why this particular stock is intended to be installed on a gun NOT cut for a shoulder stock? What are the attachment points? My wife just ordered me one(yet to arrive) for my upcoming birthday. I have several Colt style guns both cut/uncut for a stock so I can use it either way. One of them you mentioned--a Pietta 44 Navy that I did install a 12" barrel on last year.

I have no idea why it won't work on a gun cut for a stock though I can see from the photos that it attaches near the recoil shield in a different manner and the extra screws may be in the way. I can only go on what Cimarron states in their description. ". SKELETAL SHOULDER STOCKS WILL NOT WORK ON "CUT FOR STOCK" (CFS) BP GUNS." I just got off the phone with them 10 minutes ago, I had called to see if the stock would fit a Pietta that was not cut for a stock and they said NO. If anyone finds different I would love to hear from them.

I’d be interested in one if it could be made to work on a Ruger or even a Walker.

I’ve often wondered why the stock length is so short placing your face so close. Seems to me it would be ideal to have the revolver placed at arms length just as when shooting them without a stock.

I figure it's no worse than my .69 Flinters with a pan full of 2f lighting off an inch from my eye :)

Given that Cimarron is marketing these I assume these are made for Uberti guns.

I'll have to see what arrives in a few days, and if it will fit a Uberti 51 Navy not cut for a stock.

Fitting this to a Walker would be phenomenal......

Folks are always posting about chain fires, chain fire that close to your face should be exhilarating!

I just took a close-up look at Cimarron's picture of the stock. The top attachment points, which appear to mate to the shoulder stock screws, are nowhere near the recoil shield. They do show the stock mounted to a 1851 Navy, and not many were made with the frame cut-outs and screws. The other picture is of a 1860 Army which could have come either way. I can't imagine where the interference would be. Well, I'll soon find out when mine arrives.

It appears to attach to an extended 2-headed hammer screw in the manner of the Pietta stock (included with the Pietta stock) for a 3-screw Navy or Army frame:

The poorly made vid shows how it attaches.

Jim

I have one of these, it's miserable to shoot. like having a firecracker go off in your face. I've only shot it twice.
No, it's not for sale.

wm_12539810.jpg

I believe sourdough is correct in that it uses an extended Uberti hammer screw. In that case anyone who could make an extended screw could fit it to another brand gun. In the enlarged photo above you will see that it is mounted on an Army that is cut for a stock and that the "4th." screws (the ones the Colt stock mount to) have been removed to allow this stock to fit.

Though we don't talk about them here I would like to caution everyone who has a conversion cylinder and a shoulder stock. If you go to the range and assemble the gun in that configuration you are in violation of Federal law.
I believe the shoulder stock aspect of the 1938 Federal Firearms Act only applies to cartridge guns.

I believe the shoulder stock aspect of the 1938 Federal Firearms Act only applies to cartridge guns.
Notice, he said, "conversion cylinder" which is something that we don't talk about on the forum. Conversion cylinders change cap and ball pistols into cartridge guns.

Back