• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lyman 54 Trade Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me anything about the Lyman Trade Rifle and how accurate? 1:48 twist barrel.
It comes standard with peep sight mounted doesn't it?
How do they compare to T/C Hawken? Thanks in advance.
Jim in Idaho

They are a good gun for the money. They have a single trigger and not the double set triggers like on the T/C Hawken. The T/C has a better warrenty. The 1=48" twist barrels are accurate shooters. The peep sight is not standard on them. They come with an adjustable rear sight.

I have the DGW Hawken, left handed, flint. It is the same rifle as the trade, made by the same company. It has brass and a double set trigger. It shoots very well with both rb and conicals. I prefer the buffalo ballets 245 gr or the PA conicals, 240 gr.

I have the Lyman Deerstalker and it has about the same barrel, just a bit shorter. It shoots round balls real good, and has even won a few shoots.

I just finished cleaning my .50 cal Lyman Trade rifle. I was out deer hunting yesterday. I shoot PRB in the 1:48 barrel and find it extremely accurate. The rifle comes with traditional and adjustable rear sights. Since this is primarily a hunting rifle I prefer the single trigger. The rifle has a decent walnut stock and very good wood/metal fit. Overall, I would say a very good bargain for the money. If you are going to get one shop around for best price - it varies quite a bit.

Mike

Anyone know the answer to this question?

Can you adjust the trigger on the Lyman Trade Rifle? Will it adjust to a real light, but safe setting?
Pretty much need a light, fast trigger as my trap guns and all my centerfire rifles are adjusted to a very light pull and as much as I shoot it is a must that I can adjust it close to what I am used to.

Jim in Idaho

I am not an expert on this, did my Trade rifle's trigger yesterday. See thread "1st muzzle loader and some huntin" in General muzzleloading section." I wanted to get rid of some creep. The trick is to know how far to go and especially to be careful in keeping the angles of the engagement correct. Ty not to round the edges on the sear and fullcock notch. I used sandpaper ( up to 1000 grit) on a piece of plate glass. Do not go to far. Think twice before lightening the sear spring. I ended up with a trigger with no creep, and what seems to me acceptable safe engagement. I shoot so much better with a good trigger than a not so good one that I was willing to take the chance. Triggerfeels a lot like my Sako's, except for the aftertravel.

Chiefs50 wrote:
I shoot PRB in the 1:48 barrel and find it extremely accurate
May I ask what size groups you are getting? Load? Do you use the adjustable sight or the "primitive" one? Chiefs50 I saw elsewhere you asked if the trade rifle has shallow or deep rifling. Did you get an answer to you question yet?

I took the primative sight off and am using the adjustable one. I'm still experimenting with loads. I have been shooting a .490 ball with a .015 patch and 80 grains of ffg for hunting and 70 grains for target shooting. I have been getting 2" to 3" groups at 60 yards, but the limiting factor is probably my eyesight. I'm 59 and wear bifocals. I've been thinking about getting a peep sight as I can still shoot that type of sight pretty well. No, I haven't gotten an answer yet as to whether the Trade Rifle has deep or shallow rifling.

Mike

I have a flint 54 CAL Trade Rifle Barrel on a Stainless Deerstalker stock with a replacement L@R flintlock. I shoot 90 grains of FFFG, a 54 wonderwad, a .020 ticking patch lubed with moose snot, and a .530 speer ball. I can cloverleaf off a bench at 50 yards average about 1" group or less from center of impact. VERY accurate shooting barrel!!!! I can hardly keep a 1 foot group at 50 yards with 95 grains of FFFG though. I have the TC tang peep, and a Lyman post fromt sight with a white bead top. I also have the hooded Lyman front globe sight, but I took it off for hunting season. I have only shot about 75 balls through it so far, so I hope it will settle in to shooting better groups after it has some more experience. :winking:

Cheifs50, the Trade rifle has bore of .542, groove .558 . These are nominal specification per the book. They are deep cut. I hope this is of help to you. Mark/wi

Latest posts

Back