• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Re-acquired muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting - I also had a .58 cal percussion model 120 B by Investarms. It was factory-made using a 15/16" octagon barrel with shallow wide grooves for rifling, so a conical was most accurate. http://www.investarm.com/media/img/120b.jpg

I had a barrel from one of those 58’s. I was gonna put it on a TC stock. But metrics must not translate exactly to fractions ‘cause it was too big for a Hawken stock and too loose in a Renegade stock. Probably coulda made it work but just sold it instead.

Interesting - I also had a .58 cal percussion model 120 B by Investarms. It was factory-made using a 15/16" octagon barrel with shallow wide grooves for rifling, so a conical was most accurate. http://www.investarm.com/media/img/120b.jpg
There go. Investarm was the name. Mine had the shotgun style butt with a slim rubber pad and I was glad of it. I believe I shot mostly round ball and some maxi style bullets. That’s been fifteen years ago easily...

I just re-read the post, and what TX-GRIZ actually said was: "...a large barbed hook out of my thigh..."
Seems that the horse never never actually left the barn for this caper. :)
I will start with saying that I did not put the hook in my leg. The only other person in the boat was my wife.
The hook was a large treble for bottom fishing big cats.
I swore I would never bring up to topic again, well, at least around anyone she knows....

Looking at it with the rubber butt plate, checkering, and scrolling on Lock plate. Two muzzleloader’s come to mind?

1. Hawken Hunter, made by Investarms.

2. Sile Hawken Hunter Carbine.

Both came with rubber butt plate, checkering, and scrolling on Lock plate.

Both have short carbine length barrel’s. Both have the same style trigger guard. Both have double set, double lever triggers. The Lyman DeerStalker has only a single trigger!

The Sile has a chrome lined barrel though!

Both have blued barrel, and escutcheons for single wedge key, round recessed lock bolt escutcheon as well.

As mentioned before, the Investarms will have a stamp on the barrel that is a: Square with a capital letter I in it. The Sile will have SILE Hawken Hunter Carbine stamped on the barrel.

Anyway, that’s my guesses my friend.

Look it over and let us know?

Respectfully, Cowboy

Last edited:
They were also called ‘Sporterised Hawken’ by some outfit or other and except that it had a 28in chrome-lined barrel, the one I had fits Cowboy’s ddescription perfectly.

Getting ready to have a knee replacement this Spring. Currently work three jobs and wont be able to work any of them. I think I might get some of my loaders out and play a little bit. What kind of range should I expect from this shorter barreled Muzzleloader?

I was able to make out the Investarms on the barrel. But it also appears to have a chrome barrel.

I was able to make out the Investarms on the barrel. But it also appears to have a chrome barrel.
Sounds like you have an Investarms Sporterised Hawken that bubba.50 had mentioned earlier. He also stated that his had a chrome lined barrel as well.

Anyway, As far as accuracy? I’d say out to 100 yards acceptable hunting accuracy.

With my Lyman Deerstalker in .54 cal., I hit a 12” steel plate consistently at 100 yards. Using a .535 ball, .018 pillow ticking spit patch, and 80gr. Goex 3f.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Thanks Cowboy I'm going to start out with 50 gr. 3fg and work up a load to see what I can get out of it. Thanks everyone for your answers!

Its a Investarms Sporterized Hawken as stated I have one exactly like it in .54, very accurate rifles..

Latest posts

Back