• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Plains Pistol Leather

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

50 Cal.
Reaction score
DSC07091.JPG
I got two requests for pics of my Plains Pistol holster, so I'm going to just post them on this thread. The holster works very very well, so I would like to share it with y'all. Important things to note is the angle of the cant on the belt loop, and how the leather comes between the hammer and nipple, when the gun is on half cock. It was made by Hickman's Saddlery in Post Falls Idaho.

Hit create thread button too fast. The cant is very important. If the holster hangs on the belt like a plumb-bob, it will not be comfortable, will jack up your belt and pants when you sit down, and be hard to cross-draw the pistol. It is designed for right hand shooter, left side carry/cross draw. A cross draw keeps the butt stock of the rifle from bashing into the pistol constantly, which it will do if you carry a long pistol like that right side. Where the belt loop is located vertically is important also. Remember the Plains Pistol is very muzzle heavy. It needs to ride high in the holster.
DSC07092.JPG
DSC07094.JPG

Last edited:
That’s an absolutely dandy holster!

Might I suggest a method to carry ammunition for it? An Altoid tin in the pocket with some of these inside:

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...ie+Quick+Load+Target+Tube+-+.44+-+.50+Caliber

They also make these tubes in red for a .54 caliber, and longer “rifle” length ones that hold more powder and can be cut down to length. I use an Altoids tin and these tubes to carry a spare reload for my revolvers in the field.

I don't remember the cost, less than $100, more than $50. Worth twice the price. One other thing, as you guys already know, but especially with this holster, it's going to work best with a separate pistol belt, obviously not the belt holding up your pants. I like to shift it forward when I sit down, which gives me instant fast access to it.

I like to use old WWII German and Rooskie ammo pouches, to carry my paper cartridges. With a double pouch, I can put my rifle powder cartridges in one side, (I load patched ball from a block) And then pistol cartridges in the other side. With a capper around my neck, I can reload the Plains Pistola very quickly.
DSC07086.JPG

Rat
I bought some of those Russkie ammo pouches. They were like 3 double pouches for less than $20. They will work fine once i square them up a little. Being leather i can wet them then form them and let them dry. Should work out fine for me.
Do you just ram your cartridges down the barrel? Or do you tear open, pour powder in, followed by bullet or ball using paper as a wad?
DL

Last edited:
I have one nice set of German pouches, which are my favorite and go with the Jeager. I think the Germans also used a triple pouch, but don't have one of those. The double pouches work great though, and have room to spare for extra flints, cleaning jag, worm and ball puller, etc.

Yes, those are my "rapid fire" cartridges, tear off the end, pour powder down, turn it back over and ram the ball down still in the paper. No wad.

However, they are quite accurate, not far behind a cloth patched ball at all. I found that very surprising when if first tried them out.

As long as I have time to reload, when I'm not being attacked by that pack of hungry hostile wolves, I tear off end, pour powder down, remove ball from the paper and dig out a cloth patch and wax wad.

What load do you use? Is yours a .50 or .54? I got 150 PA 240 grn conicals i want to try in my Mountain 50 cal pistol. Where i hunt we got deer, turkey, hogs and more hogs and more hogs. My feeder is 50 yds away from my stand and ometimes they come up out of the creek not more than 15 to 20 yds away. So a pistol is a good choice here.

It is a .50", I have shot up to 70 grains fffg under a patched ball, but have toned that down to 60 grains. I also shoot 60 grains under the PA 240 grain conical, which is very accurate and has the same POI as the ball. That's for sighting in for serious business, for paper punching 40 grains is a good load. Less than 40 grains...why bother? :) Just kidding. But I think she'd be insulted to burn any less powder than a .45 Colt or .44-40.

I have it loaded with a conical at the moment, as next week I'll spend a day calling cougar up North. I like to lay a pistol on the ground, on my right side, when sitting, so that if something comes in behind me to/on my right I can use the pistol, instead of trying to swing that far to my right, with the rifle. Can't swing the rifle that far right without too much movement. Such shots are always 30 yards or less, so yeah, .50" pistol is not a bad choice. :)

And the bragging rights from shooting a non-treed, on the ground, eye to eye, big cat with a single shot muzzle loading pistol....priceless!!!

Rat
Have you seen these before? Reproductions of Japanese WW2 Type 38 Ariska ammo pouches. Looks pretty good and new reproductions. Could fit some paper cartridge boxes for revolvers in them and keep dry and safe. An idea!
DL

Attachments

• s-l400 (1).jpg
    s-l400 (1).jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 66
  • s-l400 (2).jpg
    s-l400 (2).jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 63
  • s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 58
Those are cool, have not seen them. I like.

Spent yesterday looking for the big grey kitty. Set up three times during the day to call, but kitty never called back. Nor did any bears. Sure could get the Ravens in with the "baby crow in distress" call. Did some exploring, was a good day. Ever cook up some bacon, kind of over-cook it, then take it with you hunting or hiking? Best trail snack ever.

That holster sure works. This is about the third time I've worn it all day, and it is just plain comfortable, and just right there if you need it.

A comment Lee made got me thinking. Has anyone tried "combustion-able" cartridges in a single shot? I wonder how that would work. In a revolver, straight line ignition, nipple right up against the cartridge paper...so it works pretty good. In a single shot, flash has to hang a right. Ooops I mean a left. Some breeches are better than others, some flash channels are longer and shorter than others. The Plains Pistol seems (to me) to have a nice short distance from the nipple to the powder chamber. Anyone tried it? That would be one fast loading pistol.

In theory, I can see some problems, such as the base of the paper cartridge not going far enough into that "patent" or recessed chamber, increasing the distance the flame from the cap would have to travel. ???? Just curious. That would be a pretty good rate of fire, if it worked. ?

Rat
Yeah i found these on evil-bay. Somewhere i heard someone using paper cartridges like you do. Tear the paper, pour in the powder, ram the ball in paper first. That way paper acts as a wad.
Now ram all of it down and pray the fire can pierce the paper? That is the question. Now an under hammer or a mules ear where the fire goes straight in, i have no doubt would work. Some day i want an under hammer or a mules ear 50 cal pistol. But till then???!!!
DL

Hit create thread button too fast. The cant is very important. If the holster hangs on the belt like a plumb-bob, it will not be comfortable, will jack up your belt and pants when you sit down, and be hard to cross-draw the pistol. It is designed for right hand shooter, left side carry/cross draw. A cross draw keeps the butt stock of the rifle from bashing into the pistol constantly, which it will do if you carry a long pistol like that right side. Where the belt loop is located vertically is important also. Remember the Plains Pistol is very muzzle heavy. It needs to ride high in the holster.View attachment 17435 View attachment 17436
That is a very nice looking holster you got there Rat. I might have to contact Hickman's to see what they could do for me. Did you have to give them pistol dimensions or were they familiar with the Plains pistol? Also I like that leather wrap on the pistol grip...very unique. How'd you do that?

Back