• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I need help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrfishnhunt

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am looking at the
Pedersoli rifles. I like the Frontier and Pennsylvania rifles. Also I will get a .45 or .54. I know the Pennsylvania is not available in .54. The main difference that I see is the 1.5 inch difference in barrel length. Which would you get and why? Thanks.

I hunt with a Pedersoli Kentucky in .45(caplock) and it does just fine on the piney woods deer!
As for the hogs in the area, 200 lbs and under no problem. Boars over that mark I prefer to use the .54.
I have run TC maxis thru one of my TC .45s, just haven't used them to hunt with yet.
But honestly, my .45s (I have 4 and .45s are just fun to shoot!)get more field time than any of the others...

Just a thought... you won't be under gunned with a .54... just not the best for squirrels and rabbits.

I will hunt whitetail in Texas, mainly in the pineywoods.
Pedersoli Frontier in .54, flintlock. :thumb:

The Pedersoli Frontier aka the Blue Ridge Hunter in .54 from Cabela's is a larger lock than the the Pennsylvania, which I have found is easier to work with.

The Pennsylvania is currently listed around $200.00 more expensive

The Frontier has a fixed rear sight, and to get the most out of either rifle you may need (depending on your eyes) to swap out the front sight with a thin silver front sight post from Track of the Wolf.

The .54 has a 1:65 twist rate, which is quite good for heavier charges with the patched, round ball.

You're in Texas, and while you're going for whitetails now, areas for mulies are not that far off, so you're talking probably .50 caliber in either (though in truth a proper shot from a .45 should harvest a mulie). Now also remember that the land of the Elk is not that far from you either, and I'd say a .54 would be proper for those.

LD

45 not gettin it done on big hogs? Get a 50. Works on both.

You didn't say if you wanted a flinter or a percussion gun. I would go with the Frontier, as Loyalist Dave said, the lock is bigger and there are replacement parts available. also, you can get L&R replacemnt lock in flint or percussion so you can have both. I also like the Frontier because the barrel is removable for cleaning whereas the Pennsylvania gun is a pinned gun and removal of the barrel is more difficult and should not be done on a regular basis.

With the Frontier, I like the ability to take the rifle down for transportation (and cleaning). I like 54 for hunting. You can certainly load lighter for plinking or targets but I use a smallbore for that. For hunting practice I use a full-sized animal photo target with the 54 and take shots off sticks in different positions. If I had the same exact rifle in a smaller bore I guess I could practice with smaller bore and hunt with 54. Sometimes things go wrong and I am reassured by the bigger weight and diameter of a 54. The larger lock compared to the Kentucky has my confidence. It is a very personal decision. For me, I like the Frontier better and the .54 better.

Pedersoli Frontier in .54, flintlock. :thumb:

The Pedersoli Frontier aka the Blue Ridge Hunter in .54 from Cabela's is a larger lock than the the Pennsylvania, which I have found is easier to work with.

The Pennsylvania is currently listed around $200.00 more expensive

The Frontier has a fixed rear sight, and to get the most out of either rifle you may need (depending on your eyes) to swap out the front sight with a thin silver front sight post from Track of the Wolf.

The .54 has a 1:65 twist rate, which is quite good for heavier charges with the patched, round ball.

You're in Texas, and while you're going for whitetails now, areas for mulies are not that far off, so you're talking probably .50 caliber in either (though in truth a proper shot from a .45 should harvest a mulie). Now also remember that the land of the Elk is not that far from you either, and I'd say a .54 would be proper for those.

LD
I just looked at the blue ridge hunter flinter it looks good. The Cabelas website shows that it takes a small flint. What size in inches would that be, maybe 5/8"?

For what you described, my feeling would be to go with the Frontier.
I have a new one in 54 (flint) and love it. The factory lock has been 100% flawless and is very frugal with flints.
As long as you keep your shots properly aimed, rabbit is no big deal. Head and neck area shots are easy at 25-50 yards.
The 54 round ball on deer is devastating. Have not had one fail to pass completely through yet. Makes a big hole for lots of blood letting. There is not a hog in Texas that could stand up to that big ball either.

I just looked at the blue ridge hunter flinter it looks good. The Cabelas website shows that it takes a small flint. What size in inches would that be, maybe 5/8"?
I have the Blue Ridge in .54. The flint size is 7/8”. I personally would go .50 over a .45 and .54 over a .50 if the muzzleloader is to be hunted with.

I really like the Blue Ridge. I shoot light loads at the range. Hit 9” steel plates at 100 yards off hand all day long. Using 60 gr. Goex 3F, .530 ball, and .018 pillow ticking spit patch cut at the muzzle. With .60 gr. that ball racks that steel plate with authority at 100 yards. Of course for hunting I’d up it to 70 grains just because I choose to.

Blue Ridge in .54 would be my vote.

Respectfully, Cowboy

If possible try to handle each rifle before you buy. They have significant handling differences.
I prefer the Frontier overall, but I would take the Penn. if I was just shooting paper offhand.

As others have mentioned- the lock on the Frontier is significantly larger and less fussy. I have found the Penn. to have a little faster lock time, but those smaller flints take more care. If you like to load and prime with the same powder the Frontier lock is the better choice. Frontier is great with the French Amber flints as well.

Both will shoot the same as far as accuracy goes.

Back