• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

losing Wooden Patchbox lids

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnail

54 Cal.
Reaction score
How prone are wooden Patchbox lids to getting lost? Any of you guys one with a wooden patch box lid ever have one slide off accidentally?

Skagun,

I have two rifles with wooden patch box lids. I am in the woods with one of them at least once a month and both guns are over ten years old. If done properly they are beautiful. I have never had even the slightest mishap with either lid.

Charcloth

Same here. Haven't managed to lose one yet...yes, I said "YET"!! Most I've ever seen either have a metal catch or are really tight fit. If you have doubts, hold the gun vertically and do a serious version of shake-rattle-&-roll!! If you can't shake it loose by serious shaking or tapping it on the floor, you shouldn't lose it in the woods. good luck.

For a tight fit yet easy removal it is best when the dovetailed sides of the lid are not parallel but rather lightly convergent. There should not be any rattling when you try to move the lid sideways in the stock.

Robert

If they are made properly I don't think you would ever lose one. I have seen some dovetails that were not made correctly & were more of a offset track rather than a dovetail & THEN you could lose one. One the old rifles I have seen with the lids missing, it was obvious the dovetails were small & thin & not well made. Also have seen some of the dovetails on the lids sides not parallel & going at an angle like a point toward the front of the lid, so if the lid comes back 1" or so the whole lid will lift out & I personally don't care for that idea, but that is just me.
IMHO, the lid should have a good angle on the dovetail & the dovetail should be at least 3/16" deep (1/4" deep is nice) & it should slide easily & track all the way to the buttplate & have a firm latching feature, regardless of the type.
If it is a little loose, you can usually glue a sliver of leather or felt in a hidden place of the dovetail to take out the rattle when closed.

:hmm: And on that thought itself, how many times do you take a rifle in the woods, shake the H out of the buttstock to hear the patchbox rattle ? Not gonna happen so even if it is a lil loose it would not concern me allot. I would rather have it loose & easy to open, than have the lid stuck & cannot get it off.
:thumbsup:

I have a .60 cal rifle very similar to the signed Andreas Albrecht rifle that I made about 20 years ago, never had any problem losing the lid. I made it with the metal catch which I think would be neccessary to prevent loss. I just push the lid in till I hear that "click" of the catch button slipping over the edge of the butt plate.

Regards, Dave

Also have seen some of the dovetails on the lids sides not parallel & going at an angle like a point toward the front of the lid, so if the lid comes back 1" or so the whole lid will lift out & I personally don't care for that idea

I agree agout that. Of course I mean only a very light taper about the width of the dovetail depth over the lenght of the lid (would only lift out when drawn completely and then its out anyway).

I think you're more likely to accidentally bump the catch button and lose all the contents out of a brass box...something I have seen period accounts of! :winking:

Back