• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

American Pioneer Powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyO

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have heard some good things about this powder but haven't found much on MLF. Anyone use it? I actually can't find it locally...I can only find pyrodex and sometimes 777 :bull: No GOEX or real black powders can be found...maybe its cause this is California and California kinda sucks :haha:
The weird thing about American Pioneer is it says not to Lube...on the site it says-
"Lubricants used in muzzleloading have been added to ease loading and to help keep fouling down. Our products generate moisture when it is ignited, so it actually lubricates the barrel when you shoot. Loading will actually be easier than when using lubes. Also, our product produces only a very minimal amount of residue which does not build up. If lubes are allowed to come in contact with the powder, it can actually create fouling and lower performance when burned."
Interesting...
Cabela's says "It replaces black powder volume-for-volume and delivers identical velocity and accuracy with virtually no residue."

So who has used it and what do ya think? :confused:

While I have no experience with this powder in front-stuffers, I have loaded it in cartridges. And while I far prefer real black, I appreciate that some folks don't have easy access to it. With these disclaimers out of the way, let me say that APP is my favorite sub. It pretty much lives up to its billing in my experience. I would still use some form of patch lube, as I find it hard to believe that it would be very easy to jam a dry patch down the bore despite the lack of hard fouling, but my suggestion is to try it with and without patch lube, and see which gives better results.

As for Pyrodex...suffice it to say I turned down five pounds of it the other day when someone offered it to me gratis. :shake:

I tried it and gave away almost 3 lbs of the stuff to my neighbor. It clumped up in storage and I had hangfires. My own personal experience with it was not good. I have went back to Goex BP after trying every substitute out there except 777 and I cannot speak for that substitute, but appears to be the best substitute according to majority.

Jim

I bought a pound of APP FFg and didn't care much for the power it delivered. Plus had some hangfires and no fires. I was not impressed with APP. It did seem to be a little cleaner than Pyrodex, but I don't think it burned very well. I charged my Hawken with and without lube on the patch and didn't seem to make a difference that I could tell.

No more APP for this Cat.

BP residue is hydroscopic, attracting moisture, so it can seem damp. Maybe this stuff is the same. But damp doesn't mean lubricated in my books!

I'm the same as Noah Mercy. I've used it in cartridge guns for Cowboy Action shooting but not in my frontloaders.
It is probably the mildest of any of the powders I've used but also one of the smokiest.
Initial lots of powder tended to clump up in the can, but that seems to gave gotten better lately, either that or I'm putting the lid back on the can tighter.
As far as lube goes, I know I can use standard smokeless lubes on my bullets rather than going to special black powder lubes like SPG.

I have used it and it works ok for me in a perc. gun. Works VERY poorly in a flint. It does seem to lose power over storage periods and I can't say that it will give consistant 100yd. accuaracy. But,if it is what you got, you can shoot and hunt and enjoy doing so. It is easy to clean as well. I used lightly lubed patches,also.

i have used the 2f and 3f in percussion guns. worked ok most of the time but does clump up in the container. was not impressed with the performance. did not get the satisfying "crack" but more of a "foomp". they have come out with a gold lable app that costs more. my question would be if you can make a better product why sell the inferior along side of it. i do like triple 7 and use it almost exclusively. (at the risk of enraging bp users) i just get good performance and results with it - can't argue with 1 hole groups.

I wish you'd tell me the secret to gettin' good accuracy with 777, as I have a whole pound of it just gatherin' dust. My buggy rifle don't like it a'tall.

I have been using American Pioneer Powder for about five or six years now. All the way back to when it was known as Cleanshot. I have used it mainly in those new-fangled things we don't talk about. Although, I have used it in some of my percussion ML's. I have always gotten good ignition with it. It cleans up easily, and is less fouling than Pyrodex. The one thing I have noticed is that it seems to have less velocity on a volume to volume basis, than either Pyrodex, or real Goex BP. I find this especially, as the powder gets older. If you are looking to try a substitute, and if it is available in your area, try Goex Pinnacle in FFFG. This is made in conjunction with American Pioneer Powder, and Goex. It has the qualities of A.P.P., but seems to (so far) retain the velocity of either Pyrodex, or Goex BP. It will not work reliably in a flinter, without a kicker charge, as most subs.

my secret is a patch on top the power under the patched ball. i'm using up some old patches that don't fit anything i have now. a wonderwad works great too. :grin: ship it my way, my son will burn it up. (rapidly).

Thanks, for the tip about the wad, now to find one that will fit my .35 caliber barrel. :shocked2:

Goes to show.. my uh 50 likes it the 48"er flat loves it. Go figure.. Fred

.36 cal revolver wads should work in it. Roundball sasy he always uses the next larger size wad, so a .375 should work in your rifle.

Just tried some APP ffg in my T/C Hawkens. The first three shots went well after that I had two hang fires. I then ran a spit patch down the barrel and the next shot did not fire. I then ran several dry patches down the barrel and had a hang fire on the next shot.
Anyone interested in a can of APP ffg? :(

Back