• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Turner Kirkland Rifle .40 caliber Percussion Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This guy followed me home from a local gunshow this past weekend. It has been fired but was well taken care of and has a mirror bore. The barrel Markings are Turner Kirkland and made in Belgium along with the Belgium proof marks. I understand from the other Turner Kirkland threads here on the forum that it is pre or early Dixie possibly 1950's or 60's. I've been looking for a light caliber to take it easy on the old shoulder for punching paper and making smoke. I believe with a little fettling of the trigger and lock this just may be it.

Anyone else shooting one of these guys in .40 ?

Thanks
a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
d.jpg
e.jpg

I've got one that I picked up at a local gun shop a couple of years ago. I honestly have only fired it to verify it works, need to get it out and use it!

I've got one that I picked up at a local gun shop a couple of years ago. I honestly have only fired it to verify it works, need to get it out and use it!
I haven't measured the bore to determine what ball size or checked the rate of twist yet. I need to pick up a few jags and such for 40 caliber. I have for every caliber but 40.

slobber slobber

Man, that rifle is a piece of American muzzleloading history!
Yes sir I thought that. When I pulled the lock and barrel from the stock and saw the hand carving chisel marks and the inletting black I could imagine the boys in Belgium turning these out without a lot of machinery involved. Mr. Kirkland's early entry into reproductions possibly predation Dixie Arms. If I only make it to the range once with it is still going to make a cool wall hanger and conversation piece.

Sweet gun hope to buy a 40 soon hopefully I will find one that nice. Looked at one recently but barrel was rough inside so passed. Post some pics at the range bet that is a sweet shooting gun.

Bassdog,
This may be your lucky day. I have a .40 half stock that is in very good condition with a perfect bore. The rear sight has been moved, before I got it, and the dovetail needs a plug. Other than that its ready to go. Asking $650 plus shipping and can send pics if you are interested. For the pics, send me an email.
Mark

This guy followed me home from a local gunshow this past weekend. It has been fired but was well taken care of and has a mirror bore. The barrel Markings are Turner Kirkland and made in Belgium along with the Belgium proof marks. I understand from the other Turner Kirkland threads here on the forum that it is pre or early Dixie possibly 1950's or 60's. I've been looking for a light caliber to take it easy on the old shoulder for punching paper and making smoke. I believe with a little fettling of the trigger and lock this just may be it.

Anyone else shooting one of these guys in .40 ?

Thanks
View attachment 16987 View attachment 16988 View attachment 16989 View attachment 16990 View attachment 16991
These are highly sought after! Always wishing I'd locate one somewhere. Good find!

Spring,
I have a friend with one in good + condition he was selling. Din't know if he still has it but can find out.

I hear those have a nice slim barrel, made before it was dictated that barrels had to be a specific, or minimum weight/thickness for a given caliber. Nice rifle.

Yes sir I thought that. When I pulled the lock and barrel from the stock and saw the hand carving chisel marks and the inletting black I could imagine the boys in Belgium turning these out without a lot of machinery involved. Mr. Kirkland's early entry into reproductions possibly predation Dixie Arms. If I only make it to the range once with it is still going to make a cool wall hanger and conversation piece.
A "wall hanger" would be a sad fate for such a nice rifle. Hopefully you would pass it on before doing that.

I hear those have a nice slim barrel, made before it was dictated that barrels had to be a specific, or minimum weight/thickness for a given caliber. Nice rifle.
People often don't know that "lawyers" often dictate the weight & bulk of our repro guns...Originals always seem handier, livelier, more svelte! My Lyman GPR could survive a nuclear blast; one reason I had the barrel shortened!

They do and for a 40" straight non swamped barrel it is very comfortable for me with a nice balance, slightly barrel heavy but no overly heavy. I'm waiting for my order of roundballs, jags and such from Track of the Wolf, I'll post the results when I get it to the range.

A "wall hanger" would be a sad fate for such a nice rifle. Hopefully you would pass it on before doing that.

Oh man I don't feel that way. If not for wall hangers or closet queen (muzzleloaders) I never would have been lucky enough to come across the few like new 30 to 50 year old guns that I have.

If by chance this one turns out to be one of my less favorite rifles it could spend 20 or so years on the wall and then thrill some young guy to make it his own. <G> Thanks

You would take good care of a wall hanger, I'm sure. However, some people (not gun-nutz like us) hang them on the wall, never clean or wipe them down again, oil the metal and wood, or take them off the wall again, where they rust and dry up, same as if neglected in any other place. That's why "wall hanger" kind of scares me. !!!

Hopefully, that young guy twenty years from now doesn't put a AR15 three position stock, a picin-inny-ninny-whatever rail on it, and a red dot sight. :)

<CLIP>
Hopefully, that young guy twenty years from now doesn't put a AR15 three position stock, a picin-inny-ninny-whatever rail on it, and a red dot sight. :)
<End of Clip>

Ho Boy, Now I can't get that terrible vision out of my head ! Keep the faith man. There will be a resurgence in the sidelock black powder sport someday. Maybe when a real popular video game comes out using long guns. But a win is a win.

The little .410 slug from a Russian built Svarog slug mould out of pure lead shoots well over 40 gr. Black MZ (2f Goex is about the same as far as oomph goes). I powder coated some and ran them thru a .400 NOE sizer. No lube due to Black MZ making it’s own. Did the same with the original Turner Kirkland conical and was able to ring the 8” 100 yd. gong 5 out of 5- times. They cut a mean little 5-shot 30 yd. group. No more time as it got dark too soon. Reason for powder coat was that the original mould throws an under sized slug. The Russian .410 slug was too big so had to size it down. Found one of the little T/Kirkland slugs after it hit the gong and it was really flattened out!

Back