• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My "old" Colt 44

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is my .44 that I bought in 1974. The manufacturer's mark is either PAG or RAG, I can't tell for sure. I have a spare cylinder also. Since the pistol is a brass frame model, I only shoot 24 g of real BP. It has always been properly cleaned and cared for and has never failed to fire. I can hit what I shoot at pretty well. The holster is a Navy Arms. It has been several years since the gun has been fired but I plan to "get back into it". I just bought a nice 1977 vintage .45 caliber long gun that I posted pics of in the percussion rifle forum and I plan to shoot both guns some when the high 90 temps are over with here. Cooler fall weather should be coming soon.
20190821_084818.jpg
20190821_084837.jpg
20190821_084941.jpg
20190821_085018.jpg

Hello Tom, Glad to see you're getting back onto the true path! You bought your revolver about the time I acquired my first, a Colt's 1849 pocket in 31 caliber, and I know you'll enjoy the Forum, welcome aboard, George.

RAG stands for Rigarmi, short for Rino Galesi Armi.
This is an italian made replica.
The proof mark is from Gardone Brescia.

Last edited:
Actually, I just found a chart on here that gives powder measures from empty cartridges and I see that .45 Auto empties hold 26 grains of black powder. I also shoot .45 Auto so that would be a handy measure for me, and close enough I guess. I plan to try my hand at making some paper cartridges for it.

The stamp XXX indicates 1974 as the year of production. Interesting is that it is not in a cartouche - the little square box that is required by Italian Proof Law to denote an arm made for overseas sale.

This is the third (or 4th?) differant Italian gun model with the term "Armi" in the name. What exactly does Armi mean? Italian for Arms maybe?

Back