• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rock smasher with no spark, lock help, opinions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heres a closer pic

Attachments

• file-3.jpeg
    file-3.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 106
Did you compare the Late English, Manton or John Bailes (Track Names) frizzens to that lock plate?

no i'd cut it up before i'd sell something unusable to someone. I can't do that to someone.

As long as you are up front with people about the lock having problems, I don't see a problem with selling it. Someone may be looking for parts for that particular lock and could make use of yours.

I don't think there is any fixing this frizzen, it dosent seam to be cast correctly.
maybe I could grind down the bottom of the frizzen face then cut out the pan cover with a rotory file. It needs to go forward about 1\16" that may end up going into the cover.
I ordered a durs egg l&r hoping that is is closer fit.

Call Log Cabin and describe your problem to them, they offer gun smith services. They maybe be able to help, all you will lose is the price of a phone call and the worst is postage mailing it to them.

I would weld up the pivot hole in the foot of the frizzen and the lock move the frizzen forward where it belongs and re drill the whole

I would weld up the pivot hole in the foot of the frizzen and the lock move the frizzen forward where it belongs and re drill the whole

I was thinking that too but its so small and I'm not steady enough any more.
also I thought maybe plug the hole with steal pin then redrill.
I have a tow frizzen coming we will see what happens after it gets here.

IF you can not find the correct frizzen you are sunk as to making a decent flintlocks out of it. Well, unless you can make one from scratch.

Consider making a percussion conversion lock as done long ago. You will need a hammer. Figure out the throw you need and the orientation of the square on the tumbler. Track's catalog is very helpful for this type of thing.

IT could be that something is available for the percussion version of that lock.

Years ago I did this on a TC flintlock, the original one that did not work well. As a caplock it was good. The hammer was available at the time. Adding a drum to the flint breech plug was easy.

Scotia4570
That’s not a bad idea if I can’t make it work as a flintlock.
That would be strange owning a cap gun, over 30 years since I had one.
I gotta remember that one.

I would try reducing the strength of the frizzen spring first, before purchasing another. To do this I suggest thinning the lower leg by grinding or sanding, as long as you do the removal parallel to the leg. Never cross ways, as that can cause fracture. Polish all tooling marks to smooth. How much removal is the 64 dollar question. I would take a small amount and try, then more if you are not satisfied. When I am in doubt, I like to take it slow and sneak up on my result.
Harden the frizzen by uniformly heating to 1500 deg (this is bright red) and then quickly quenching in a quart or so of light weight oil (never water) moving parts slowly around in oil until cool. If hard it will not file.
Temper the hardness………heat 1 hour in oven at 375 deg (62-64 Rockwell C)

Good luck, & keep us posted
Flintlocklar

I I got the new frizzen from TOW I have it fitted to the lock. a little bit of modifying but it strikes good when the flint hits it. I loosend up the frizzen spring and had to change the cam ramp a tiny bit seems all good.
now I'm gonna heat treat it.

you say quench the frizzen in light oil. such as cooking oil or motor oil? what is proper?
thanks

ou
tom

Last edited:
I I got the new frizzen from TOW I have it fitted to the lock. a little bit of modifying but it strikes good when the flint hits it. I loosend up the frizzen spring and had to change the cam ramp a tiny bit seems all good.
now I'm gonna heat treat it.

you say quench the frizzen in light oil. such as cooking oil or motor oil? what is proper?
thanks

ou
tom
Tom,
Transmission, canola, or over the counter quenching oil.
Flintlocklar

It sparks! Best ever!
I had to make a small spacer to shim the frizzen pivot. now onto the mainspring issue then a bunch of clean up on it to make it nice.
One more question, even though I know I have maxed out my question quota.
Do you think it safe to weld up the name on the lock plate. I want to file it off but it’s too deep, looks like maybe part of the casting?

Thank all for your help, so happy that it will actually work now
Ou
Tom

Attachments

• 3142C19E-DF69-42CE-804C-65AAA42E5099.jpeg
    3142C19E-DF69-42CE-804C-65AAA42E5099.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 95
  • F1DD4BFF-BD17-4AE5-8FF8-A3531F1F5890.jpeg
    F1DD4BFF-BD17-4AE5-8FF8-A3531F1F5890.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 77
Could be soft or have a mild case hardening. You might try using a punch to tap around the name to close the name up. You may then be able to file that part smooth enough so the name will be nearly gone.

It sparks! Best ever!
I had to make a small spacer to shim the frizzen pivot. now onto the mainspring issue then a bunch of clean up on it to make it nice.
One more question, even though I know I have maxed out my question quota.
Do you think it safe to weld up the name on the lock plate. I want to file it off but it’s too deep, looks like maybe part of the casting?

Thank all for your help, so happy that it will actually work now
Ou
Tom
As Jim said, welding could, and most likely will warp the plate. To me if you are determined to rid the name: I would try Grenadiers punch suggestion, but if it is surface hardened the metal may not compress. In that case you may have to grind off the surface hardening, in order to punch in the metal. My second hint will make some members cringe, but it would work for a result. Go ahead and epoxy in the name, then grind/polish smooth. Blue or brown the lock to your preference, then touch up the letters with paint, yes good old paint. No one will know if you do it right!
Flintlocklar

Latest posts

Back