• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Touch hole liner.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some of you know of my Bessy and her greedy appetite for powder n' lead.
I measured her touch hole and it was larger than 3mm.
I have a feeling it's to much of a vent so I set two and made a 2mm liner and got her done.
IMG_20190218_182515.jpg

IMG_20190218_190537.jpg

IMG_20190218_191128.jpg

Now she better not start complaining and miss behaving or else!

I'm hoping she can get better pressure up now and thus gain some efficiency.

Any comments?

B.

Most folks take the barrel out to perform that operation. I'd address the mainspring rub now too. Where did all the wood go that's supposed to be in the lock mortise?

Most folks take the barrel out to perform that operation. I'd address the mainspring rub now too. Where did all the wood go that's supposed to be in the lock mortise?
You will have to educate as to your last question but as for any witness marks from the main spring I'm ok with it as the lock is very reliable and flint friendly.

Way back in the 1970,s I used in al my build flintlocks a Allan screw which are still in use today. The good of these they got the powder in the pan close to the main charge
Feltwad
Allan Screw Vent

Way back in the 1970,s I used in al my build flintlocks a Allan screw which are still in use today. The good of these they got the powder in the pan close to the main charge
Feltwad
Allan Screw Vent
I remembered your description but I could not find one at home or at work small enough but I found some stainless steel Hank bolts in M5. I then asked a machinist to drill it for me. I then cut it and slotted it for a driver.
I partially threaded the hole so the screw binded at the desired depth to avoid a thread locking compound.

Feltwad
Allan Screw Vent
My TVM Lancaster has this sort of touch hole liner. Always wondered if this type is also back bored.

I have a feeling it's to much of a vent so I set two and made a 2mm liner and got her done.
View attachment 4885
View attachment 4886
View attachment 4887

Any comments?

B.

I never thought the size of the touch hole could lose that much pressure or energy. I learn something every day here. But as for you hoping for more efficiency out of Bessy, my god the bloody critters will not have a chance now. Jess will be busy.

Feltwad
Allan Screw Vent
QUOTE]

Feltwad now you've gone and stepped in it. :rolleyes: Are we about to have an extremely long discussion regarding the HC/PC aspect of allen screw vent liners? :D :D

View attachment 4885
View attachment 4886
View attachment 4887

Any comments?

B.

Let us know how she shoots.

Well what an improvement!
Definitely more efficient.
Just last weekend I tested with 1f and shot and it was puny!
Same load today with the new liner and much better, normal not puny.

Ball also was stronger too.
IMG_20190222_114354.jpg

I pulled the low shot but the two together were good. Off hand at 40yds.
Well worth the effort.

B.

Back