• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mildew Smell In Tent!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiltiemon

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I've tried the search function but got no results...

Just picked up a used 8x10 Panther wall tent. It's been stored and has a musty smell that may (most likely does) indicate mold growing on it.

If I still had a house with a pool, I'd just soak it there for a few hours, hang it up to dry, and be done with it! But... not having a pool any more, how do you suggest I treat this? Can I put the tent up and spray it with something, then let it dry? What can I spray it with that would have the least damage to the waterproofing and fiber?

Secondly... how does one clean a small wall tent? It's rather dirty as well! So... I've got two quests... First to kill the mold, Second to get the dirt off! (Yes... It WAS a good buy!!!)

Thanks In Advance for your suggestions!

Jim aka kiltiemon (Yes, mold and dirt IS period correct, but it really wallops my allergies!) :grin:

I'm really not sure. I think you would probably be best off contacting Panther Primitive and asking them. They are really good people to deal with and I am sure they will have an answer.

Coffee grounds (not used wet ones, new coffee that has not been brewed) will take the musty smell out of old harmonicas. You put the dry coffee in a tupperware container and put the harmonica in with it and wait a few days. You might sprinkle a one-pound can of coffee on the tent and then put it in a plastic trash bag for a few days.

If it were me I would just set the tent up outside in the sun for a day or so to get rid of the smell...sunshine does kill mold also. As for cleaning, why not take a stiff bristled floor broom and some soap or bleach and give it a scrub down inside and out and then set it up outside..yeah, I know, I should have put the last part of this post at the begining...duh. :)

Take the tent to a laundermat and run it thru one of their commercial size washing machines that people use to wash large rugs in. You can also use one of their large commercial size dryers to dry canvas if you don't have room to dry it out at home.

Harddog

Be advised that if you touch regular sun forager canvas with soap or bleach (that can also disolve canvas) you will instantly remove the waterproof treatment from the canvas. (You do not want to know how I learned either of these facts!)

No ifs, ands, buts or "in my opinions" to this, your tent will leak like a seive in the next rainstorm. (No, the steeply sloped canvas does not shed water due to the natural oils in the fabric!)

If you scrub it, which is probbly your only solution to this problem, be prepared to apply new waterproofing.

If you buy the commercial stuff from Panther, or anyone else for that matter, it would have been cheaper to buy a new tent!

Now we get to do the "what is the best cheap waterproofing?" thread!

Ghost is right in everything he has stated. I run or did run a canvas business and it will happen as he said.

So, if you do have a big problem, take it to the car wash, spray it down with soap and then clean spray. Then you will have to reaply the water proofing treatment if it ever had it originally. Thompson, Bhear, Canvak(this is the best), and Olympia? from Wallymart will do for this job. Just don't do it on the grass. Will kill your yard. Set the tent up on a sandy or who cares if you kill the grass area and use a garden sprayer from the top to bottom. And, inside and out. Do this on a warm sunny day. Leave it up for a day or so to air out from the smell you will have from the treatment.

And...........good luck. I have done many tipis and a few tents this way. Lots of work.

www tipis-tepees-teepees com

If mildew if the worst thing you smell in your tent, you're running with a much more genteel crew than my boys.

Just set the tent up outside where the sun can shine on it and the wind blow through it. That will dry it out and air it out. Build a fire and let the smoke blow into the tent also. Hardwood smoke has anti mildew/mold properties. Why do you think they smoked meat?

Then feed everybody a big bowl of Texas venison chili and head to bed. You wont smell any mildew.

several things to say and hear goes.
NEVER buy a tent without it being water repellant, flame retartant, and mildew resistant. But if you do happen to get stung with one, set it up and get it dry thoughly. them with a spray bottle and a solution of 3 parts water and 1 part white vinger spray the black spots of mildew and let it stand. this will kill the mildew but may take a couple of treatments.
if you get stains on your tent, the sun is the best bleach in the world.
NEVER wash your tent with any detergent, this will take any treatment right out of the canvas.
avoid power washers of any kind.
I have a four seasons tentmasters tent that is 30 years old and not a leak, and only one repair in that time. If you have any questions, give them a call at 517-436-6246. they will be more than happy to help you with any questions you may have about a canvas tent. I have had nothing but success with their tents, thats why I own three of them.

Latest posts

Back