• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Track of the wolf

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TANSTAAFL said:
Ye old Naval Jelly from auto parts store or an equate type of same from Wally World works great.

Does it have to be 'old' Naval Jelly or can ya use new stuff? Doe the Naval Jelly have to be aged?

navajo- as regards the Lyman v T/C ... i bought a T/C many years ago... the frizzen conked out summarily (it was used and, in defense of T/C, i have no idea how many strikes the frizzen had endured before i got it). it was replaced by the seller (a wonderful place in Fayetteville NC called Cumberland Knife & Gun) this frizzen did some better, but ended up being replaced by a Lyman frizzen, which will drop it if you can stand a little play from side to side.

good luck

MSW

Beaverman, please give us an update on the ATF. ATF is the main ingredient to "Eds Red" bore cleaner (smokelss powder residues). I was just getting ready to make some up and won't if the ATF removes bluing??? Uncrichie...

Naval Jelly (the pink stuff) comes ready to use, never had to age it? There are several wannabe NJ types of rust remover out there. I picked up some at Wally World and it worked fine for stripping off the bluing.

There was talk about the unintended side affects of
using Navel Jelly on another board, the name of which I can not remember. It seems that the vapors from NJ
are very nasty. They will cause other metal object to
rust. These vapors can travel a long way from where they are being used. So be carefull if using NJ in your workshop.
However, maybe this side effect could be used as a
method of rust browning in a controlled enviroment?
Pres.

Back