• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why are or aren't you an NMLRA member?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Their 2002 return lists gross receipts of almost 1.9 million and 31 employees. It's an interesting read.

Carbon6- Have no idea what’s on the Internet, but the office staff has never had more than 10 employees max in the past 30 years that I’ve attended. Currently about 8 including 2 maintenance.

Carbon6- Have no idea what’s on the Internet, but the office staff has never had more than 10 employees max in the past 30 years that I’ve attended. Currently about 8 including 2 maintenance.
Employees aren't limited to office staff...

Carbon6- just looked at MuzzleBlast mag.
NMLRA office staff list 7 employees + Editor (currently Dave Ehrig “Mr. Flintlock”). BOD or President are all Volunteers.

Even if they have only 10 employees, the profits & assets demonstrate they are in business to make money. Just because you are a non-profit doesn't mean you aren't making a profit....
Are you worried about a profit or an excess. An excess would be an amount that you were able to receive over and above your expenditures so that you might be able to continue to operate, as well as do programs that you wouldn't be able to do if you didn't have the money on hand. I would look at a profit as money that is over and above the expenditures that would be dispersed amongst shareholders or a person or group of persons. No organization is able to continue to exist if it operated at a loss or break even, not to mention improve it's own self. I have not ever seen or even heard of any accusations of anyone pocketing "profits". The "profits" or "excesses" whichever you call it stay within the organization. Consequently since you are able to predict exactly where the point is that a profit begins, let them know so that they can shut down any inflow of money so that they do not make a profit, to satisfy those that don't want the NMLRA to have a reserve in order to continue to operate and serve it's members.The NMLRA does a tremendous amount of good and this post would be prohibitively long to list all. Friendship is not the only thing that money is raised for or spent on. I hope that someday some people would continue to see the good in this organization even though the inlines (use of optional) are still a very small part of the equation.I am very much a flintlock shooter and don't care for inlines as my personal preference. Actually I would never know this if I had never shot one. If someone wants to shoot an inline, I'm fine with that. They can even shoot beside me. If I'm having a good day, I'll beet them. I'll guarantee you we both will have had a good time.

Are you worried about a profit or an excess. An excess would be an amount that you were able to receive over and above your expenditures so that you might be able to continue to operate, as well as do programs that you wouldn't be able to do if you didn't have the money on hand. I would look at a profit as money that is over and above the expenditures that would be dispersed amongst shareholders or a person or group of persons. No organization is able to continue to exist if it operated at a loss or break even, not to mention improve it's own self. I have not ever seen or even heard of any accusations of anyone pocketing "profits". The "profits" or "excesses" whichever you call it stay within the organization. Consequently since you are able to predict exactly where the point is that a profit begins, let them know so that they can shut down any inflow of money so that they do not make a profit, to satisfy those that don't want the NMLRA to have a reserve in order to continue to operate and serve it's members.The NMLRA does a tremendous amount of good and this post would be prohibitively long to list all. Friendship is not the only thing that money is raised for or spent on. I hope that someday some people would continue to see the good in this organization even though the inlines (use of optional) are still a very small part of the equation.I am very much a flintlock shooter and don't care for inlines as my personal preference. Actually I would never know this if I had never shot one. If someone wants to shoot an inline, I'm fine with that. They can even shoot beside me. If I'm having a good day, I'll beet them. I'll guarantee you we both will have had a good time.
Neither - my post was addressing the claims that "The NMLRA is not a business, they make nothing..." As such, I posted the earnings statement to demonstrate that they indeed do make something and are a business. What they do with their money is entirely up to them.

Carbon6- just looked at MuzzleBlast mag.
NMLRA office staff list 7 employees + Editor (currently Dave Ehrig “Mr. Flintlock”). BOD or President are all Volunteers.

That's just for the magazine alone. and i was citing their 2002 tax return.
If you have their 2017 return I'd love to see it. I bet everyone would.

Yes...however, I'm a member..and would like to know the financials..all.
If I contribute to an organization, I'd like to know where my money is going and for what it is being used. Are they good stewards of my contribution? If not, then I go elsewhere.

I have helped several inline shooters covert over to a nice traditional style rifle. A good buddy of mine and a big inline shooter showed up to my rendezvous with his inline. I dont discriminate. The next year he came back with a flintlock. All you got to do is expose a shooter to a traditional ML. Gun nuts are gun nuts.

I no longer belong to a public range, but when I did I would always load up my rifle and let those guys that showed in an interest in what I was shooting take a shot.

At Friendship I hang out at the long range rifle area. It is very common to have people hanging out and watching you hit the steel plate at 500 yards. I cant tell you how many times we take those people watching and let them try their hand at the 500 yard target. I know of 3 them that have become long range shooters now. You wont know if you dont try.

When I teach the ML portion of hunters ed to the kids and adults I get swamped with people at break wanting to play with my traditional rifles and shoguns that I bring for show and tell. No one is fighting to put their finger prints over the inline that I bring.

Shooters like to shoot.

Fleener

My experience.. I have had many folks fondle my ML guns, likey, and ask all the questions. But None, None..have taken up the sport.

I don't see any "hate" either. I see opinions, experiences, and perceptions.
The OP asked for such, stated he was on the fence about re-joining. Heck, I'm in that same boat, been there for years. This long drawn out conversation has almost convinced me several times.

I started my membership in 1980. It was money well spent when I went there for national shoots. Now I don't shoot on the national level anymore so I don't see any reason to be a member. The magazine leaves much to be desired and isn't worth the cost of membership. The membership dues are insignificant if you go down there for the whole shoot in spring or fall, I spent hundreds of dollars down there every shoot, probably be at least a 1K trip these days. If I decide to attend the national shoots again I'll become a member, but that's a lot of money to blow!

My experience.. I have had many folks fondle my ML guns, likey, and ask all the questions. But None, None..have taken up the sport.

Yep! Muzzleloaders aren't the easy path. When given a choice 9 out of 10 people will choose the easy path. Finding that one person, the one willing to accept the challenge. The one that likes traditional muzzleloaders. They don't grow on trees.

If any one don't like the way the club is going, ya know the election is going on right now for the leadership.

May I ask..do you know if it is the usual, (old boys club) that gets reelected?
Some of them have some experience, others don't.

There are 7 positions open and 9 candidates so...

I really don't get this question. Your vote is one vote far as I know. Senior members votes don't count any more than any one else. I'm sure it is all spelled out in the association rules.

I voted for two candidates from Indiana and one from KY. They had the most "invested" in the club. They had a lot of time as members and performed services for the benefit of the club as well as excellent credentials other wise.

Back