• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Poll: My favorite gunflint is . . .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpkiller

That Other Moderator
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering what you rock-lockers keep in your jaws. I prefer the French, but mostly shoot the English (and have been known to keep a German milled agate in my flint wallet as a last-ditch choice because they are consistant and durable).

Stumpy-

Ya have to add one to your list. This weekend I saw some EWnglish Blonde Filints at a Trade Faire. Can't vote for them yet, cuz I haven't shot with them, but the look good!

Oh Lord! I'm like the Wizard of Oz with the balloon. I know how to get it started but I can't control it.

The intent of the poll was to let folks know what's out there. I'll add "English Blonde" to my own list but I think the poll is locked in place.

I don't know enough about flints to vote. I have english flints from TOTW. Rocky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I recall troubles my brother had back in 1973 with his TC flint "Hawken" and the sawed 'flints'. He got some English flints from somewhere and they were better but still poor due to the coilspring lock. He used to complain about the odd sawed one(every other one)used to crumble or break when it hit the frizzen first shot.
: I've never used anything but the English flints from Track. Of the 50 I bought, only 2 had some grey in them and 4 had peaks instead of a top flat. Both of my flint guns prefer them upsidedown and they work just great. Taylor's been shooting Flinters for 34 years now, has tried quite a number of different ones from all over and says the English flints from Track are the best he's used, so that's what I bought and use.
: Would like to try French flints sometime, but generally don't like anything to do with the French besides the muskets. They were of higher overall quality generally, than any of the English muskets, especially from the St.Etienne arsenal.
Daryl

That was an English black that I shot 70 shots without knapping in my new Issac Haines last weekend. I know that's exceptional but I've never got that many with any other kind.

70 shots from ANY flint is incredible & probably depends very much on the timing and 'balance' of the springs in the lock. I would expect that european flints would be the only ones to do that. I know I've gone through the trail on the same flint, then 1/2 way through again, I've decided to change the flint, but I have had to knapp it many times. The trail at that time was 46 rounds.
: Last time out at the range, I used a flint that I'd snapped, perhaps 30 times in the shope during dry-fire practise, when it broke across the edge leaving nly 1/2 an edge. At the range I shot all afternoon with that flint and never had a flash-in-the-pan- probably 50 shots. I was also shooting the .54 flint pistol that day.
: I have found that a piece of steel, 1/8" thick with a "U" notch cut and filed out will remove the thickness of the leading edge of a flint that's been knapped several times. They just seem to get thicker and thicker, and normal knapping just makes them blunter. Using the 'tool' as a rocking pessure device will actually, with practise allow the angle to be lessened and provide even more shots out of a flint. It's easiest to use back home, with the flint in leather padded vice jaws on the work bench.
: This is an adaptation on the "Manton" style knapping tool mentioned in The Rifle Shoppe catolog- probably on-line as well at www.therifleshoppe.com I started out with a 1/4" notch, but opened it up to about 3/8" X 1/2" deep for large and thicker flints.
Daryl

Black English flints are perfect in TC's redesigned locks, and work best bevel up.
I average 40-60 shots out of a BEF, and back in March, I got a total of 87 shots off one...two 40-shot Saturday trips to the range, and 7 shots on the 3rd trip to the range.
I've also had one of those fractured flints that still performed outstanding...the front part of the flint was half blonde color and half normal black.
On the first shot, the flint split along that boundary line, but I shot the entire range session with the leading edge only half the normal width and it never faltered...won't waste my time with anything else but BEF's

maybe a little slow learnin' to boot. I went to the Rifle Shoppe websight, and they do list the tool you spoke of (The Manton combination tool) for $19.95, but they don't show a picture of it. Is there any way you can post a pic or drawing of the tool you made and explain a little how it works. Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

The larger 'slot' is almost 3/8" wide for large flints. The smaller 'slot' is just under 1/4" for thinner flints or close to the edge. To knapp, I followed the instructions in the rifleshoppe catolog that stated to use a rocking see-saw-type motion. Experimentation will teach you form these instructions - it's merely a rocking motion that you control the 'bite' of. With practise you can knapp large flakes or small flakes or merely crumble the edge kinda like nibbling to sharpen the flint. It's easy to use - just takes a bit of practise is all. If starting again, I'd use old flints and concentrate on re-newing them to smaller pistol flints. It works and fits in the 'tool' bag easily. Mine is about 2" long. A longer 'handle' might be adventageous but I see no reason to change the one I already have.
Daryl
:
Knapping%20Tool.JPG

: BTW- make a deeper slot on the large one - perhaps 1/2" deep would be better. I just never got around to it- will now that it's 'out of the bag'.

the advice and the picture. May have to try and make me one of them and see how many flints i can destroy while trying to learn to use it. VBG Take care, and Watch yer backtrail.

Thanks Daryl! That looks even easier to make and use than the flint awl I usually use and recommend:

mbo44-3a.gif

Yours only takes one hand. I can see where it could easily work as a jaw screw turn-screw if one side was flattened, too. Might even work a notch into a flint-and-steel striker (I like multi-function tools).

Most certainly - hardened tool steel or a really good job with Casenite after grinding a blade would work well. The screwdriver blade in the middle of the off side would be perfect, giving good purchase for the fingers on each side. 3" long would be better I think.
: I already have a nice cock turn-screw and knapper in one tool, but could easily make the one I pictured work for both as well. Afterall, my tool bag is taking up WAY too much space in the possibles bag.
: I re-knapped my striker flint as it was in need of some new edges and it did work on it as well.
Daryl

I'll have to make one of those and try it. I ,now, use one similar to the one posted by Stumpy. I just put the rifle in the crock of my left arm, hold the tool with my left hand and hit it with my short starter, works great.
On the balancing or tuning of locks. The lock that I got 70 shots with ( a siler from Track)had such a heavy frizzen spring originally that it wouldn't even open and even after I got it opening it was eating the flints in a few shots but I kept cutting down the spring until now it flips open easy and I'm sure that's part of the reason it lasted that long.

Am I the only one here that makes my own?
Oh, store bought flints are nice and all, but if you walk a cornfield after a rain, there are so many odd sized pieces left over by the indians, that I can't help but pick the likely ones up and trim for use in my smoke pole's jaws.
(also you find the ocasional arrow head, I don't use them for flints, but they would work kind of nice if broke in the crossection.) Sure they don't last as long as store bought, but the price is right.

When I cam get a good chunk of English flint I like the spauls I make, as often there are three good sides to them,plus the satisfaction of doing it myself.

Back