• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First time out for the Pedersoli -

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldbadger

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Got out to pattern the old girl today. With your guy's help I found out I had a full choke and a modified choke on this Pedersoli 12ga double.
I found that the full choke with 80 to 100 grains of F powder and 90 to 100 grains of #6 shot worked out great at 20 yards. I don't think I would of missed a grouse !!
But --- the modified side really was not good at all. Same loads - I'm using a thick over powder wad from Track of the wolf and the thin overshot wad from the same.
I am using the F powder because I read the write up from Mr. Star ----- I'm wondering if I should try FF ?? I did notice the higher I went on the powder load the worse it got on the modified barrel.
Any thought on this would be great. Thanks oldbadger

kEEP ON EXPERIMENTING....
i believe you generally do best with 70 gr FF powder.
experiment with different wads etc....experimentation is the only way you will find the right combo.
dont forget shot cups also...you could even make yer own and save some $$$

have fun!
*** wv scrounger ***

How would you make your own shot cup ?? I kind of want to stay away from the ' Plastics ' if you know what I mean ..

2f works great in my 10 ga. Pedersoli. It also likes the maximum load for some reason (and I get the best turkey pattern out of the imp cyl barrel rather than the modified barrel). It definitely takes some experimentin' to get the optimim patterns. enjoy the 12 gauge :thumbsup:

Good suggestion of the 2F powder and 70gr's. It sure did improve the shot pattern of the Modified side barrel . Buuut Now it puts a more dense pattern ( Not complaining there ) low and to the right with the Full choke side !!??
I'm going by Mr. Stars loading of a powder card ( A thick one from Track of the wolf) and one overshot wad.

if you use a thick fiber wad over the overpowder wad you may find you have a hole in the center of your pattern. If so, try splitting the thick fiber wad into halves or even fourths.

If you are only getting a 20 yard effective range from a full choke barrel something is very wrong. I have patterned 20 or more ML shotgun barrels and never had a problem getting them to pattern up to the standard for their choke, and often tighter than marked. Never needed shotcups nor found any advantage to them. 80 grains volume of ffg, two hard card overpowder wads, no filler wad, equal volume of shot and a thin overshot card should pattern 70% to 80% in the standard 30 inch circle at the standard 40 yards. Never tried fg.
Regulating the two barrels to point of aim is often more of a problem. Generally speaking, less powder and more shot, will cause the barrels to splay out more, right barrel to the right and left barrel to the left and both barrels higher. More powder and or less shot will bring them togather or even crossfire, right barrel to the left and left barrel to the right with both shooting lower.
It can be pretty frustrating to get good patterns well centered from both barrels with one load, or it can be an interesting challenge. I used to spend a lot of time counting tiny little holes in paper and calculating percentages. I still shoot patterns on paper but just look for location. centered within 6 inches of point of aim and adequate density and don't bother with counting pellets in the load and pellet holes in paper. I doubt that all those calculations ever bagged an extra bird, I'd rather spend the time practicing on clays. Practice will add birds and it's more fun.-- ::

Well guy's - thanks a bunch. I moved to the FF and after a bunch of shooting -- the 80gr. ( 45-70 Case !! ) of FF and the same of #6's I now have a good huntable load out to at least 30yds that I had the target at. I did change the chokes in the barrels - I put the Mod. one on the right and the Full on the left - the opposite of what it was and things did come closer together.
Again -- thanks a bunch -- :thumbsup:

Good deal! It never even occured to me that we were talking interchangeable choke tubes. ::

both coyote joe and rebel are right rebel talked about leaving a hole in the group and that happened today I usde what I had on hand 3fg elephant poo 2fg goex and 3fg goex and I even tried 1fg and got outstanding groups with it, here's what I loaded:
70 grains b elephant
.500 wad
.150 card wad
#4 with equal 70 grain measurer
.030 over shot wad
cci #11 cap this gave me a group at 25 yards that was nice and wide but left a 20" hole in the center. used the same powder charge, all the way up to 120 grain shot charge untill at 120 grais of shot brought the shot pattern down till it pattern still left a 6" hole well that would be ok for bunnies.
i then trie 2fg with the same results but this time I swiched to.150 wad then .500 then shot then .030 that load scored right away, that one would be great , just what I was looking for , but am running real low on 2fg only have a 1/4 lb left.

the best news came from 1fg goeex *0 grains of powder follow by .150 hard wad then .500 sot at 120grains measured with powder measure and .030 shot this load blowed a great big hole threw my shot board and computer paper (20 sheets squared on shot pattern board) it was close to a full choke pattern from a modern 12 ga. non the less I had fun at the range , but going totry different shot like 5,6, to see if they also makes a difference I belive it will , but untill
I get it that I dea will wait. bb75

Try splitting that .500 wad i half next time and see if that doesn't help with the hole in the pattern. I assume that is a .500 lubed fiber cushion wad you are refering to? Should help. Also, getting rid of the Pachyderm poop might help too. VBG

Back