• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Movie The Revenant?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seen it.

Bottom line is few will go see this movie a second time except for us.

BEAUTIFUL scenery, images you wish you could pause the movie and just stare at for awhile. Probably the prettiest I've seen in a movie.

All the violence, and there's a lot, seems realistic; messy and clumsy and bloody. Really gets across just how tough the Frontier was.

The most realistic bear mauling ever set to film.

Even with them fake trade guns the arms, clothing and accoutrements are tremendous :cool:

Some great parts, but overall the movie is overlong, and Dicaprio goes through so much stuff that after awhile it starts to get comic.

A minor faux pas in that at one point one guy's experience with Texas Rangers are referred to in the past tense, whereas they weren't around yet in 1823.

Oh, and Tom Hardy as Fitzgerald the psycho bad guy is the one who should get the Oscar, easily. OK, he weren't a sodomite like the bad guys in Deliverance, but overall running into a guy like him in the woods is like your worst nightmare :shocked2:

I'll go see it again for the re-enactor stuff and the scenes, I'd guess not many will pay to see it twice tho.

Birdwatcher

Hi. Very good movie. Shot with many more quality media and the classic "Man in the Wilderness" (1971), whose exteriors were shot in Spain. I agree with colleagues, that some errors occur when loading rifles, such as not using patch, scoring several bullets and do not use the ramrod. Another mistake is loaded directly from the powder horn. But overall it's a very realistic film. Regards.

I also thought it was a good movie with great effects, (the bear mauling was incredible) and I really hope it gives a huge boost to the muzzleloading sport.

I thought it was an excellent movie. Both DiCaprio and Tom Hardy deserve Oscars for their performance. It was cool to see what looked to me very period correct firearms, at least more so than having T/C Hawken percussion rifles in the movie!

I liked it overall - however, it was very disappointing in accuracy.

Andew Henry was not killed by Fitzgerald and Fitzgerald was not killed by Glass.

The scenery is nothing like the Grand River in SD - and the moss covered fir trees is a real stretch the attack of the bear happened in August no snow in SD then and certainly nothing the size of those mountains - and the initial attack happened near the mouth of the Grand on the Missouri - no towering pine trees there

I liked it for the entertainment value

but it was horrible as far as accuracy.

The initial attack from the Arikara occured on the Missouri near the mouth of the Grand River - no pine trees there like that - the mauling happened in the summer - SD can get cold but I never seen that kind of snow in August. Glass did not have his son along.

There are no mountains of that size in SD and they mistakenly call the Ft in the movie Ft Kiowa which is down stream near Chamberlain, SD certainly not in the mountains - it could have been Ft Raymond on the Big Horn but Fitzgerald was enlisted in the Army and not in the mountains when Glass found him.
Glass did not kill Fitzgerald and Fitzgerald did not kill Henry.

The battle with the indians after the mauling and prior to finding Fitzgerald is total fiction

Brown Besses in that abundance? That would be a serious stretch too

Intimately familar with the area Glass was mauled in Grand River country it is not like in the movie.

Moss on big towering fir trees with lots of bracken fern - in the Rockies? - looks like the western part of Oregon/Washington and BC to me

Here is a pic I took approximately 15-20 miles downstream from the headwaters of the Grand River (where Glass was mauled)
IMAG0677.jpg

Ya suppose those trees behind you where there 193yrs ago?
Or the Damns, Reservoirs and Drain Tile?
I get the part about the mountains,, but landscapes do change.

Saw it with my Wife. It's a 2 1/2 hour movie, beautiful scenery, lots of action, great special effects, lots of weapons and gore, and the acting - including DiCaprio's, is well done. We enjoyed it.

It is NOT an accurate account of the Hugh Glass story, even what is known of it. The ending is pure fiction, as is much that occurs in the film.
In that regard, I think the Richard Harris film, Man In The Wilderness was closer to the story.

If you accept it as a Hollywood movie, then it is well worth seeing, as it depicts in brutal terms, a brutal era of history, and the power of the human will to survive against all odds and hardships.

This is not the Leonardo DiCaprio of The Titanic".

I can't think of a single movie that is 100% accurate.....even the nightly news is highly embellished.
The movie was shot in the US, Canada and south America,
It's ok to criticize for the fun of it, I'd rather enjoy the movie for what it is, rather than hold it to unattainable and false expectations..... :shake:

Agreed. I just posted my "review" of the movie under the"Revenant Rifle" thread (also in this Media location. I didn't realize there were two threads running.)

I know the area very well - no towering pine trees the Grand River is not damned and although their are ancient cottonwoods and weathered dead cottonwoods everywhere there are damn few pine trees and the area only gets 18 inches of annual rainfall on average - so no moss covered fir trees with bracken fern (in fact I have never seen a fern up there)

having run dogs off horseback up there - including along the Moreau, Cheyenne, Grand River etc Little Missouri I can tell you I never saw mountains like that - bluffs, buttes and broken country that is beautiful and magnificient in itself.
100_00302.JPG
Grand River immediately behind me
Grand river at sunset
100_00503.JPG

Beaver sign on Grand River
100_00403.JPG

Grand River bottom viewed from high butte
100_00634.JPG

Looking NE towards Grand River near Sitting Bull's camp - approximately 40 miles as the crow flies from the mouth of the Grand River where the Arikara attack happened
8-11-09_024.jpg

Approximately 6 miles south of Moreau River between the Grand and Cheyenne River this is the type of country Glass would have been crawling across
8-11-09_003.jpg

One of my camps in near the banks of the Grand River appoximately 30 miles from the Headwaters of the Grand
SD_Grand_River_026.jpg

Keep in mind that the entirety of the Hugh Glass sage from the bear mauling to getting to Ft Kiowa happened in what is today South Dakota

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back