• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Overthinking...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinemarten

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just something I have thought about when I hear about certain rods picking up microscopic abrasive and ruining bores over time. The cloth patches themselves must have some degree of abrasive quality. Plants are known to incorporate minerals such as silcates (sp?) into their fiber as they grow. Seems like blasting these out of a rifle would smooth things over time (I mean..I even use newspaper or paper shopping bag material for final honing on knives). Is it possible that the lube is also serving the purpose of protecting the bore from the patch?
I know this is thinking too much on it...but I am trying to learn and very interested in the reasons behind what Iam doing..

Dan

pinemarten said:
The cloth patches themselves must have some degree of abrasive quality. Plants are known to incorporate minerals such as silcates (sp?) into their fiber as they grow.

I think that if you dig a little deeper, you'll discover that most plants, and certainly plants used to make soft fabrics, don't.

Interesting thought, but I think dirt under a guy's fingernails would have a bigger impact. :wink:

Your biggest threat to your barrel is corrosion. By Far.

(imho) Be concerned with good cleaning and preventing rust, and worry about harming the crown of the barrel with the cleaning rod when that becomes a problem.

LD

pinemarten said:
Just something I have thought about when I hear about certain rods picking up microscopic abrasive and ruining bores over time. The cloth patches themselves must have some degree of abrasive quality. Plants are known to incorporate minerals such as silcates (sp?) into their fiber as they grow. Seems like blasting these out of a rifle would smooth things over time (I mean..I even use newspaper or paper shopping bag material for final honing on knives). Is it possible that the lube is also serving the purpose of protecting the bore from the patch?
I know this is thinking too much on it...but I am trying to learn and very interested in the reasons behind what Iam doing..

Dan

Have you ever thought about exactly what type of environments BP arms have came from? Honestly, this should be the least of your concern as Loyalist Dave is absolutely right, corrosion is your biggest enemy along with negleting the care of your BP arm. Most fail to realize BP arms come with a responsibility when it comes to care and cleaning. Unlike modern arms, they don't tolerate laziness when it comes to cleaning! :thumbsup:

You've got a way w/ words.....couldn't have been said better.....Fred

Ned Roberts stated in his book "The Caplock Rifle" that he believed patched balls wore out the rifling faster than unpatched bullets.I haven't given a lot of thought to this problem, I feel that I wouldn't be able to shoot enough to wear out a barrel.

I think people should just accept that their barrel is going to wear out...I myself am trying my best to wear one out by shooting the heck out of it and enjoying it...
I recommend everyone follow my lead... :haha:

colorado clyde said:
I think people should just accept that their barrel is going to wear out...I myself am trying my best to wear one out by shooting the heck out of it and enjoying it...
I recommend everyone follow my lead... :haha:

Yes sir! I'm on your coat tails and haven't worn one out yet!

I have been working on shooting one out for about 35 years, and its an old CVA Mountain .50. It shoots pretty reasonable for a crappy Jukar barrel. I keep it clean oiled and shot regular. if I ever manage to wear it out I will strip it and use the parts to fit a Green Mountain barrel to it. but I think thats likely a long time off, maybe longer than I have. but I will take your advice and give it my best to shoot it out, sure beats letting it rust out or sit and collect dust.

If I ever was in the position that I shot so much that I wore out the barrel due to patches or ramrods rubbing or whatever I would "proudly" fork over the 150 to 250 bucks for a new barrel and promptly install it :grin:

When the day comes that I do wear one out....I'm going to bore it and have me a smooth rifle.. :grin:
But, I don't know if I can wait that long. :haha:

pinemarten said:
when I hear about certain rods picking up microscopic abrasive and ruining bores over time.
If you go back and re-read that topic,, the general issue with damaged bores is abuse and neglect.
Almost any material can be used in a manner that will cause damage.
A small brass mallet with a brass punch can be used to drive out a wedge, or you can take the same small brass mallet and beat the side of the gun until the wedge drops out, Get it(?)

Lubricated fabric,, slides. Dry fabric sticks.
Dry fabric burns, lube slows the burning.
Dry fabric will want to shred while moving under pressure.
Lube allows the fabric to close, seal and move.

It's not "overthinking", it's gathering the proper information too think.
Thinking is learning,, don't stop searching for information.

I have wore the muzzle end out on a .54 Renegade. I wore it out with a cleaning rod. SO be careful what you wish for. :)
Larry

You have only to consider a simple pair of scissors that cut a lot of cloth. They dull and need to be sharpened periodically same is true with paper only worse.
Patches wear (read that "polish")a barrel out over time, lead never will if clean.
Roberts was right in his thinking.
Harry Pope had 130,000 plus lead bullets shot down his favorite Schutzen gun and declared it still did not need a new barrel made.
I have seen pictures of bores when new and then after having thousands of paper patch bullets down them. They will have virtually all of the reamer marks from manufacture polished out of them.
Folks like to lie to themselves and say paper doesn't wear barrel steel but the pictures of before and after tell a different story.
I always get a kick out of how the owners will openly use the term "polished" but cannot suffer the word "wear".

Water wears rocks away. Any time two stuff touch there will be wear. even soft on hard. Mich the out side of a barrel, take a greased patch and start rubbing it over a 3 or 4 inch area of a flat. After a while, and lots of patchs mich it again, keep track of how many swipes you did. A few hours a day, five days a week for a year, I would guess you would be less then a thousandth :idunno: Do it long enough and you would wear through a barrel, Im thinking it would take a bit...but...The grand canyon started out whe a t rex scarred a brontasaures

I disagree - but not strongly - that corrosion is the biggest enemy. Something comparably destructive is a severely flexing or uncentered loading rod abrading the rifle's muzzle. This is something that will play havoc with accuracy in a disturbingly short time. All it takes is to be hurried with a second shot at the animal or careless at the range a few times. Not quite as quick as corrosion can be, but it is insidious because you probably will not notice it being done - until it's done - and accuracy goes south.

Ramrod wear on a barrel can be cured by cutting an inch or so off of the ramrod worn muzzle of the barrel. Your gun will shoot like new again.

Rick

I cut about 4 inches off the Renegade I ruined. I used the factory rod to load and a aluminum rod to clean with. At the time I had never heard of a muzzle protector. 100% my fault. :redface:

Larry

larry wv said:
I cut about 4 inches off the Renegade I ruined. I used the factory rod to load and a aluminum rod to clean with. At the time I had never heard of a muzzle protector. 100% my fault. :redface:

Larry
Umm! ya know. an aluminum rod is anodized (coated with aluminum oxide) it is harder than steel and is abrasive. that's why they coat sandpaper with it.

Latest posts

Back