• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RPM VS Velocity

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CtnLE87.jpg

The exact size and position of the sprue will make a big difference on how and how much air impacts it because the ball is a sphere....
Over time I think the sprue will migrate into the burble. but not before it hits the target..
It has to fight so many forces.
Inertia put it on a fixed path that must be overcome...
The highest and lowest points of pressure are directly opposite of each other...this wants to keep the ball stationary along it axis..
the next highest point of pressure is likely opposite of the sprue.

If you closely examine the air currents moving over the ball you can see the place where the ball sprue would be least affected..

HOWEVER!..... we are leaving out one very important factor.....Supersonic flight :hmm:

If we think of the sprue as a control surface....
Then as velocity approaches and exceeds the speed of sound, we now that control surfaces become less effective....

This might explain why guys shooting smoothbores with stout loads( = more velocity) report better accuracy... Both the adverse affects of a control surface and the flight time are reduced, :hmm:

Pretty far fetched, IMHO.

For years I've wondered and heard other people wonder and discuss why that sprue sticking out there in front doesn't cause problems with accuracy. It is not logical that it doesn't. It finally dawned on me that the reason was that it's not sticking out there. It rotates around to the back, and the smooth, round part of the ball takes the lead.

Show me a video of your badminton shuttlecock traveling feathers first all the way to the target and then we'll talk more. :haha:

Spence

Pretty far fetched, IMHO.

How so?

I don't necessarily disagree with what you originally said just exploring the possibilities.

I don't think a shuttlecock is a good analogy....
The cone on a shuttlecock is symmetrical and at least twice the diameter of the ball.
yFBGu3J.jpg

r7r7H4U.jpg

I don't see the comparison. unless you leave all of the casting intact.
BgThuc8.jpg

a bullet, any bullet, falling back to earth from a mile or more in altitude is in fact, very deadly.

Not necessarily from as much as a mile.
My son, on his very first night unsupervised as a young medical resident in New Orleans on New Year's night got a patient from just such an event. She was a young girl who had a bullet enter the top of her skull. Needless to say, but she died. :( It is (hopefully 'was') a tradition in New Orleans to fire guns into the air at midnight on New Years. :doh: The next day he put in for time off for the following year. That next year he took his leave in another state just so he could not be called back to duty. And, this post, like so many others on this thread, has nothing at all to do with traditional muzzle loading. :surrender:

Rifleman1776 said:
And, this post, like so many others on this thread, has nothing at all to do with traditional muzzle loading. :surrender:
By traditional muzzle loading, do you mean like doing it with a delrin ramrod?

Spence

The wind will act on the sprue just as it does on the shuttlecock feathers, blow it around to the back.

Spence

I agree that is possible but I'm not sure it would happen within 25 or 50 yards....
Not sure it would have time to overcome the initial inertia,

I thought about testing it but then realized that my smoothbore molds are all Lee molds and have negative sprues....

colorado clyde said:
Are we still thinking about this, or have we reached an impasse....
I've already said more about this than I know, nothing more to add. :grin:

Spence

George said:
Rifleman1776 said:
And, this post, like so many others on this thread, has nothing at all to do with traditional muzzle loading. :surrender:
By traditional muzzle loading, do you mean like doing it with a delrin ramrod?

Spence

Perzactly. Why, them original mountain men cut down so many Delrin trees the virtually extincted them out west. :slap: :v

Back