• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Butchers Bowling Alley wax

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
So, this seems it could have gone in the gun builders section, or General, or accessories, but this seems best.
It would appear, after much searching of local hardware stores, lumber stores, even a couple big box home improvement places, that Butchers Bowling Alley wax is no more. I know folks like renaissance wax is popular here on the forum, but, it is not available locally for me and I'm not sure how well it protects from the outdoor elements. I've used Goddards Cabinet Wax on some tropical hardwood recurve handle/risers and I like it but I have to drive over an hour to get it and it's very expensive, and Butchers was harder when dried. So, locally available my options are, Trewax, which lists carnuba wax as its base; Johnson's Paste Wax which doesn't list ingredients at all, Minwax which also doesn't list ingredients, or Carnuba based car waxes such as Meguiar's or Mother's.
So, what would you use? I'm looking to use it on hawk handles, flintlock stocks, etc. as well as possibly the metal work associated with same.
Thoughts, opinions, reasoning behind choices?

I'm not fully "adverse" to buying other than face to face, but prefer to keep my business local if i can. I had found that site, but noticed a couple things. 1st, on the home page they show a picture of Butcher's Boston polish, with the Butcher's name on it, but, when you click on the product list, the "bowling alley wax," says nothing about being Butcher's brand and the can shown does not say Butcher's on it. 2nd, they sell other similar products, if they were the manufacturer of Butcher's brand products, whey sell a competitor's stuff?

As a test for myself I am using nothing but Johnsons wax on a Win 94. So far after about a year, I think it is doing a good job. No oil on outside metal, only Johnsons wax.
I refinished the stock with it & just went on from there.
O.

for what it's worth, I looked at the site and it appears "legit" to me ... the wax container appears to be very similar to the one in my pantry... this stuff goes a long way, so I've had the same eight ounce tin for almost two decades... as an aside, the Renaissance Wax prices are pretty good.

just my two cents worth...

One of the best, maybe 'THE' best wax for cars and other items exposed to the elements is Top Of The Line Trade Secret Wax. It is caranuba based, sold mostly for high end cars. I use it on high end pens I make and sell. Costs about $50.00 for an 8 oz. can.

Order some caranuba wax flakes from a wood workers supply and some Johnsons paste wax and using a double boiler set-up combine the two into a new wax paste you like.

Latest posts

Back