• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions wanted on a build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nekretrac

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm wanting to buy or build a small caliber full stock gun. I've been lusting after a .32 but I'm a little worried about such a small cal in a long barrel. A.36 would alleviate some of those concerns. Either way I'm looking $800-1000 to build one. I have a friend who has a .40 gun with a Bill Large 42" barrel and has offered it to me for a small price. The only problem is the inletting on it is kind of sloppy, and that would bug me. I could restock it and probably buy parts I might want to replace for less than I could build a gun. I also could take my time doing it as the gun is in fine shooting condition. Just curious to your alls thoughts. Thanks

Fivebears said:
I could restock it and probably buy parts I might want to replace for less than I could build a gun.
That sounds like a good plan, you get a working gun with all the parts,, save a few bucks and jump into a "build" if you want,, you can always lean back on the original stock if you want to shoot.

I love my .32. I built it myself, so all the mistakes are mine, it is super accurate, and a joy to shoot. I can't imagine what you would be worried about.

For every person I've heard say they have problems with fouling I've heard just as many say they have no problems. Maybe it's user induced, maybe not, but it's planted a seed of concern in my head. I know it's a trivial concern but I'm just trying to decide if I want to take the chance. The .40 is sounding better and better. I've never built a gun so I could buy a stock and work on it, while still having a gun to shoot. I'm just thinking out loud, I'll probably change my mind a half dozen times before it's said and done, lol! Thanks for the replies guys.

Fivebears said:
For every person I've heard say they have problems with fouling I've heard just as many say they have no problems. Maybe it's user induced, maybe not, but it's planted a seed of concern in my head. I know it's a trivial concern but I'm just trying to decide if I want to take the chance.

I have a .32 that I use FF in, I don’t see undo fouling.

Don’t forget that you can have more than one.

William Alexander

I never had a fouling issue with my .36. I prefer .36 as my smallest caliber as all the bits get too fiddley for my fingers while shooting with smaller calibers. Plus you can use a full sized 5/16 ramrod. Either caliber will mess up a squirrel with out using head shots, they are both in the class of a .22 mag or a bit more powerful. BJH

A .32 is a total blast. I built my first with a Rice, A wt . A real tack driver.
Just like any other caliber, with the right patch, ball, lube combo, fouling will NOT be an issue.

If you want to learn how to build a LR, either way would be a good teacher.....starting from new would be the best "teacher".

Restocking your friend's LR would have the advantage of having things already done like dovetailing for the bbl lugs and sights.

The lock would have the tapped holes which might pose a problem, especially squeezing in the front lock bolt between the bbl inlet and RR hole w/ the new stock.

What are you going start w/ asre the new stock? A precarve or a blank? The blank will be more difficult, but a precarve has to be researched to see if the existing hardware and lock can be used.

Personally....I'd start w/ everything new, but I've also scratch built a few LRs. Your friend's LR might be a better option for you, if this is your first attempt, but some thought needs to be done...you're mixing things up a bit.

Caliber? My choice would a .40 because a 3/8th RR can be used if you start from new.....Fred

I would give Jim Kiblers rifle kit a serious consideration. It is in your price range and would be a good one to build from.
http://www.jimkibler.net/

I am still trying to either talk myself out of buying one or into buying one. Just not sure yet. So far I have not bought one, but I am thinking that it just might have to happen.

Fleener

Last edited by a moderator:
I would definitely go with a precarve. I'm not sure what lock the .40 has but it could be replaced if need be for a new stock. The barrel is the main thing I want. In the end I'm sure I will build more than one anyway. Thanks for the advice.

I would be more concerned with the skinny ramrod than anything else, but most people don't have a problem with that.

As for the sloppy inletting, some properly colored amd applied Accraglass® around the edges of the metal parts can cure a lot of sins. Just don't forget to use enough release agent on the metal parts.

Yeah, the skinny rod and a long barrel is what gives me concern. I'll find out for myself at some point in the future. Hadn't thought about the accraglass. I've got a lot to learn about tips and fixes.

I have been using colored epoxy for the past couple of days to clean up a couple of rifles. One is new and the other is a rehab. Once done, it would be hard to see where I put it.

Fleener

Fivebears, greetings from southeast Vermont!

I would go ahead with the .40 caliber. Try the Accraglas first, and if that doesn't work to your satisfaction, go with a restock. (I'd be willing to bet that you'll pay almost as much as you would far a new Rice than this whole project is going to cost, so you're ahead of the game as it is, but then again, it's not really about the money.)

If that doesn't pan out, you can start with a .36 (or, of you're brave, a .32) caliber build.

Or, at worst case, you end up doing both. You can never be too thin, too rich, or have too many flintlocks!

Good luck with your project, and remember, we love pictures!

If you shoot Swiss 3F in a small bore, fouling is never an issue, as it leaves very little. I use Swiss 3F in anything up to & including a .40 cal & when I clean it after 35-50 shots, it is amazing how little fouling is there. BIG difference from Goex or Scheutzen.

Also the Lube you use makes a dif, and the tightness of the ball/patch combo. When it is loose, you will incur more fouling.

I shoot Swiss 3F and a liquid lube & can shoot 35-50 times & never swab or need to, Just load & shoot. Have built many .32 & .36 rifles, never had a complaint about fouling, and the shortest barrel was 38", but most of them were 44" length barrels.

Personally, I prefer the .40 cal. in a small bore. It will do all the .32 & .36 does, you can load the .40 up or down & be accurate, and the .40 will knock the plates over in a Territorial match at 110 meters. And for us ol farts, the .40 ball is a tad larger & easier to handle when loading on cold mornings.

Keith Lisle

Good info Kieth, thanks. Swiss powder is nonexistent around here, could order some I guess. Are you using a dry lube patch?

Back