• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Left Handed Shooter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From Cody Wyoming, now lives in Oakwood Illinois
I own 18 muzzleloaders, all caplock! Some left and some right handed. I shoot my right handed percussion rifles left handed and have never had a problem. Now, to get to the point! I have decided to give flintlocks a try and am wondering if I can shoot a right handed rocklock left handed? This is all new territory to me. I will have to do some research here prior to picking one up. It would be a range only rifle. Do not hunt any more. Also am considering a .40 or .45 Cal. I have always been partial to Plains type rifles but would consider a full stock long rifle if the price was right. To take my first step I need to know if I can shoot a right handed flint left handed. If so, that would definitely increase my choices of getting a good deal on one. Seen alot of nice one's out there. Also, I know nothing about flintlocks! What should I be looking for before purchasing a flintlock? Will more than likely purchase a used one for my first rifle. Money is always a factor. Respectfully, cowboys1062. :confused:

A lot of people, including me, shoot right handers from the left side. I've shot Flint now for almost 40years with no problems, so I say, go for it and enjoy!

cowboys1062 said:
...wondering if I can shoot a right handed rocklock left handed?

Sure. There will be a longer adjustment period, and it will always be harder to shoot the righty left handed. At least in my experience. Given a choice, I wouldn't go near a righty, but access to models and price often outweigh choice.

Coupla things I'd check for, left or right:

You want the lock plate tight against the barrel with no gap. Keeps the powder and fouling out lots better.

The touch hole should be more or less centered in the trough to the pan.

You want a pan with a nice tight fit all around.

In used, you probably don't want a frizzen with a great big deep grove in it from past firing. Scratches are fine, but that groove is going to eat flints.

Im a righty with a left dominant eye. I bought a flint years ago and as nobody told me different I shot it just fine! Thats was before the enter-net and all so I wasnt able to be warned away. Just wear glasses! Otherwise I see no difference at all in the flint vs Caplocks shooting wronghanded!

I'd hold out for a good deal on a .40 myself. Thats my want for years, a well made .40 flint. I would also "choose" (if I was uglier instead of poorer) a full stock. :thumbsup:

I own several right hand flintlocks and I shoot left handed. It has never been a problem at all for me. Don't even see the flash. And I have never been pepper in the face with my own flintlock.

juice jaws said:
I own several right hand flintlocks and I shoot left handed. It has never been a problem at all for me. Don't even see the flash. And I have never been pepper in the face with my own flintlock.

Me neither but one tiny piece of flint in yer eye will at least end the days shooting/hunting and at worst turn ya back into a right handed only shooter :shocked2: . WEAR GLASSES

Whatever flintlock you pick make sure that it has a quality lock. I prefer Chambers. Just make sure it has a good sparker on it. And of course the items that Brown Bear stated. I hunt and would consider weight however you stated range only so weight would not be a concern.

Dave

I'm also a left handed shooter and have used mostly right hand flintlocks for decades with no problem. If right handed caplocks haven't been a problem for you, then I can't see flintlocks bothering you either. I had one left hand flintlock rifle in the past, and the left handedness of the rifle didn't really impress me or improve my shooting.
Did have an issue once. Was shooting while wearing an old Carhart coat with a tattered right sleeve that caught a spark and smoldered pretty good. :doh:

Most of my flinters are LH but my 12ga English fowler has a RH lock. I've had this gun for 36 years and have killed a bunch of critters with both shot and ball. Never had a problem with the lock being on the wrong side. :shake:

turkey_hunt2011%203.JPG

cowboys1062 said:
I own 18 muzzleloaders, all caplock! Some left and some right handed. I shoot my right handed percussion rifles left handed and have never had a problem. Now, to get to the point! I have decided to give flintlocks a try and am wondering if I can shoot a right handed rocklock left handed? This is all new territory to me. I will have to do some research here prior to picking one up. It would be a range only rifle. Do not hunt any more. Also am considering a .40 or .45 Cal. I have always been partial to Plains type rifles but would consider a full stock long rifle if the price was right. To take my first step I need to know if I can shoot a right handed flint left handed. If so, that would definitely increase my choices of getting a good deal on one. Seen alot of nice one's out there. Also, I know nothing about flintlocks! What should I be looking for before purchasing a flintlock? Will more than likely purchase a used one for my first rifle. Money is always a factor. Respectfully, cowboys1062. :confused:

Gahhh! We're trapped on a left brained planet!
Seriously though, try the regular ol' right hand lock. Probably won't be a problem for you.
I've got a lefty GPR and right hand everything else.

I'm a lefty, and started out in the 70's with a TC Hawken and then a Hatfield. I couldn't shoot either of those worth a darn, and developed quite a flinch which made the four sides of barns, safe!

I finally bought a used, left-handed flintlock from Brad Emig of Cabin Creek, and found my shooting improved immediately. My enthusiasm for shooting flintlocks now includes three lefty rifles and a lefty fowler, and I've never regretted the switch.

Good luck to you, and welcome to this unique aspect of shooting. :hatsoff:

Humans are amazing creatures, we CAN adapt to damn near anything we set our minds to. That said, being a lefty, I too have owned and shot right handed percussion, no problem but I still prefer the left handed ones. With a flint I really don't like shooting right handed guns and only own the left hand models.

The world won't end if you shoot a right handed one but it is so much easier to just get the proper tool for the job. If you are only going to buy one take your time and get a lefty. (If you do shoot a right hand gun watch you don't end up with your right forearm in line with the touch hole and wear long sleeves.)

I too am a lefty. Some guns I have are left but my turkey flinter is right. I wear wrap around glasses when I shoot any of my guns. No problems at all.

I saw it and like it. The only problem is being it's a .54 Cal. I am looking to get either a .40 or .45 Cal. It will only be a range gun with shooting out to 100 yards max. I want a rifle with a lower recoil that I can shoot with all day. Also, will use less lead per. ball. The majority of my muzzleloaders are either .50 or .54 Cal. with a couple being .45 Cal. I do like the rifle in the classifieds but it is just not what I am looking for or want out of my first flintlock. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

Unfortunately, you are a long way from Dixon's Muzzleloader Shop in Berks Co., PA. I know of a fine lefty 45 cal. flintlock hanging from the ceiling there. It has a 42 inch swamped Getz barrel, Siler lock, and is built on a fine stock of curly maple. It is an example of a Berks Co. style rifle copied by Paul Allison from an Andrew Figthorn original.

For over 35 years I have shot a right-handed flintlock rifle, with my right eye being the dominant eye. But for the last 10 years I have shot that rifle with my left eye after losing the sight in my right eye. Switching over was no problem for me, but then I'm somewhat ambidextrous. I've always shot with glasses covering my eyes and still do, but now the lens over my left eye is made of poly-cabonate which is a stronger glass to protect my remaining sight from flying objects, such as flint shards. A little practice shooting with your left eye and soon it will become second nature to you.

I am a lefty, been shooting flinters since the mid 70's. the only issues I have had with right handed guns is the offset if large makes a quick sight picture tough, and raised and wooden patchboxes are a real joy, the lock being on the wrong side has necer been an issue.

Latest posts

Back